Rebel XT lens on the Rebel T3i

Daguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I've got a Canon Rebel XT camera right now, paired up with its kit lenses (EF-S 18-55mm, this one has no image stabilizer I believe, it only says 1:3.5-5.6 II instead of 1:3.5-5.6 IS). I want to buy a Rebel T3i because I really miss not being able to shoot video with the XT. However, I can only afford the body as of right now. Will my current lenses work fine with it, or will video footage be all messed up because of the lack of IS? By the way, I can't sell the Rebel XT or its lens because it's not mine, but I can use it whenever I want. I also plan on buying the 50mm f 1.8 lens later on.
Thank you!

The main problem you'll have without IS is that with video (as I'm sure you know) you typically won't be using a blazing fast shutter speed. As a result its more likely that you'll get some wobble and shake as you record if you're hand holding. IS can help counter that, but without it you have to make do with other methods including;

1) Tripod

2) Monopod

3) Leaning/crouching/natural stands - anything and everything you can press up against to give you stability.

4) Tripod quick release plate attached to the camera with a bit of string tied to the turning ring. Then just drop the string to the ground, when it hits the ground attach a small object to the end of the string and then stand on it. The idea is that with the string held tight at both ends you pull the camera up and the pressure of the string being tight gives you a level of stability.

You can also shoot wide (that is leave area around the edge of the frame you want) and then use editing software to remove the handshake. This might be costly and I'm unsure what budget or freeware options might be on the market and of good quality; but its something to look into.

The lens itself, like all EF and EF-S lenses in the Canon line, should work without any faults or flaws on the camera.

The main problem you'll have without IS is that with video (as I'm sure you know) you typically won't be using a blazing fast shutter speed. As a result its more likely that you'll get some wobble and shake as you record if you're hand holding. IS can help counter that, but without it you have to make do with other methods including;

1) Tripod

2) Monopod

3) Leaning/crouching/natural stands - anything and everything you can press up against to give you stability.

4) Tripod quick release plate attached to the camera with a bit of string tied to the turning ring. Then just drop the string to the ground, when it hits the ground attach a small object to the end of the string and then stand on it. The idea is that with the string held tight at both ends you pull the camera up and the pressure of the string being tight gives you a level of stability.

You can also shoot wide (that is leave area around the edge of the frame you want) and then use editing software to remove the handshake. This might be costly and I'm unsure what budget or freeware options might be on the market and of good quality; but its something to look into.

The lens itself, like all EF and EF-S lenses in the Canon line, should work without any faults or flaws on the camera.
I see. By the way, is there a big difference between the Rebel XT and Rebel T3i kit lenses for still photography?

I've not compared them nor really read much about them, though from what I've picked up they are both decent performers - the IS version being better, but (ignoring the IS) I don't think the difference is night and day and likely shows itself in more minor ways and at the extremes.

I would advise that you do a bit more research into things though as there are some good quality primes and zooms that you could consider saving toward for your needs (I can't be a huge help as this range of lenses isn't one I'm as experienced in, esp at the cheaper end of the market).

Note also be aware of the fact that many zoom lenses for DSLRs are not parfocal - parfocal zoom lenses are ones where the point of focus doesn't move as the focal length is changed (ie as you zoom). This is important for video as it means you can zoom in and out without the point of focus shifting. With DSLRs and stills this is less of a requirement today so many of the zooms are nor parfocal (and some such as the newer 24-70mm f2.8 IS L MII have dropped the feature). Some can be very close and short shifts in focal length will be doable; others will have a more marked shift.

I've not compared them nor really read much about them, though from what I've picked up they are both decent performers - the IS version being better, but (ignoring the IS) I don't think the difference is night and day and likely shows itself in more minor ways and at the extremes.

I would advise that you do a bit more research into things though as there are some good quality primes and zooms that you could consider saving toward for your needs (I can't be a huge help as this range of lenses isn't one I'm as experienced in, esp at the cheaper end of the market).

Note also be aware of the fact that many zoom lenses for DSLRs are not parfocal - parfocal zoom lenses are ones where the point of focus doesn't move as the focal length is changed (ie as you zoom). This is important for video as it means you can zoom in and out without the point of focus shifting. With DSLRs and stills this is less of a requirement today so many of the zooms are nor parfocal (and some such as the newer 24-70mm f2.8 IS L MII have dropped the feature). Some can be very close and short shifts in focal length will be doable; others will have a more marked shift.
My budget is really low and things in my country can get really pricey. Anyway thank you for the advice, I'm gonna get the T3i and then save as much money as I can, then we'll see what it will buy me xD
Is the 50mm f/1.8 EF lens good for filming? What about the 50mm f/1.8 FD lens paired up with a FD-EF adaptor? I can get both for about the same price (FD lens + adaptor will cost me a little more, but nothing I wouldn't be able to save up for in 2 weeks :))

I hear good things about the Canon 40mm f2.8 for video. It is supposed to have an ultra quiet autofocus which is better for video.

I hear good things about the Canon 40mm f2.8 for video. It is supposed to have an ultra quiet autofocus which is better for video.
This one looks really nice, but I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it, since it costs double the price of the 50mm f/1.8. Either way, I'm not a big fan of auto focusing.

I'm not sure how good the FD version is nor how good the FD adaptors are so I can't say how good those setups will be compared to EF options.

The EF 50/1.8 does not have a good focus ring to facilitate manual focus. It's very small and not particularly smooth in operation. It would seriously behoove you to save some money and get a better lens if you're interested in video. A canon 50/1.4 or sigma 50/1.4 would take to manual focus in the form of smoother operation and a larger focus ring, have better build quality, and have improved image quality and background rendering.

Skip the 50/1.8 II and get something worth throwing your money at. Trust me.

The EF 50/1.8 does not have a good focus ring to facilitate manual focus. It's very small and not particularly smooth in operation. It would seriously behoove you to save some money and get a better lens if you're interested in video. A canon 50/1.4 or sigma 50/1.4 would take to manual focus in the form of smoother operation and a larger focus ring, have better build quality, and have improved image quality and background rendering.

Skip the 50/1.8 II and get something worth throwing your money at. Trust me.
That's waaaay out of my budget :( Those Canon f/1.4 lenses cost more than a half of my salary, and I couldn't even find the Sigma one here in Brazil.

That's waaaay out of my budget :( Those Canon f/1.4 lenses cost more than a half of my salary, and I couldn't even find the Sigma one here in Brazil.

Well if you can afford to get $100 in two weeks, can't you get ~$300 in six weeks?

Well if you can afford to get $100 in two weeks, can't you get ~$300 in six weeks?
Let me situate you, prices here work a little differently
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - 153 US dollars
Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 - 100 US dollars
EF to FD adaptor - 60 US dollars
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 - 662 US dollars
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 - 285 US dollars
My monthly income is 967 US dollars (History teacher at a public school)
I could get the money for the EF 50mm f/1.8 by selling some of the stuff I have lying around and saving some money for 2 months or so. If I wanted to get the EF 50mm f/1.4, that'd take me at least 1 year and a half. Not sure if I could wait that long to start filming though, but we'll see!

Most reactions

Back