rebel xti and shooting in .raw?

J Crew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
last night when my wife and i were messing around with her new rebel xti, we didn't see an option for saving photos in .raw. i assume that the camera automatically stores all photos in raw? or am i missing something in the menu? thanks.

You have to select which format to shoot in. It does not automatically store a RAW file.

There should be a list of several options. [Raw], [JPEG; large, fine], [JPEG; large, (not fine)] etc. You can even save both a RAW file and a JPEG at the same time..[RAW+JPEG]

It should show what image format you are in...right on the screen.

Read the manual...then read it again :D

^^ And once you read through the manual, find a good video that is produced to help you get acquainted with your camera. For instance, for my Nikon D50, I used the DVD from Blue Crane Digital and it set me light years ahead on how to use the settings. Very nice since it had been about ten years since I last touched my old Rebel G (may it rest in peace and pieces, I don't want to talk about what happened :sad anim:) and it didn't have nearly as many settings as these newfangled digital SLR's. I mean, changing your film speed *without* changing the film! :lmao: What's not to love?

But in order to really understand your camera, get the DVD. It's $20, and worth so much more in shortcuts and saved frustration.

Gaw, am I really THAT long-winded?

Big Mike said:
You have to select which format to shoot in. It does not automatically store a RAW file.

There should be a list of several options. [Raw], [JPEG; large, fine], [JPEG; large, (not fine)] etc. You can even save both a RAW file and a JPEG at the same time..[RAW+JPEG]

It should show what image format you are in...right on the screen.

Read the manual...then read it again :D

i couldn't find how to set a .raw format in the manual. it just said, these are the types of files that can be saved; raw, jpeg, raw+jpeg. when i go into my menu i only see the different sizes of jpeg... no other options. that's why i was wondering if i was missing something, lol. i'm pretty computer savvy and i would think that setting the format would be simple... but for some reason i haven't figured it out. maybe i can call technical service other something if i can't get it right tonight. thanks again.

I have a Canon 20D...I think the very first option on the menu screen is the file type. In that list is all the sizes of JPEG, JPEG+RAW and RAW right at the top. I don't know about the menu on the XTi though...sorry.

I'm sure you will figure it out.

Page 60 of the manual shows how to set the image recording quality.

There is the possibility that you can't set RAW or RAW+ L JPEG, while in the basic shooting modes. Turn the mode dial to P, Av, Tv or M and try it again.

Big Mike said:
Page 60 of the manual shows how to set the image recording quality.

There is the possibility that you can't set RAW or RAW+ L JPEG, while in the basic shooting modes. Turn the mode dial to P, Av, Tv or M and try it again.

thanks, that worked. i didn't think that there would be different options depending on mode type. thanks again.

- Jason

If you're in full Auto mode it won't allow RAW, only JPG.

Most reactions

Back