Rebel Xti or Nikon D40

Matt 181

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I really want to get into photography and I was wondering which camera would best suit a beginner. Which one should I get the Canon Rebel XTi or the NIkon D40?

Hi, I am just starting out too and I was in the same spot as you, debating over both those cameras. I ended up getting the Nikon d40x. Both are supposed to be pretty similar cameras but Ken Rockwell recommended the Nikon so I went for it. So far I am happy but need to learn how to really use it.

Either would suit a beginner. The D40x is not fully compatible with as many Nikon lenses as the Rebel is with Canon ones, but honestly I can think of no convincing reason to recommend going with one company over the other (or indeed the others which people seem to forget about). Just see which you think you'd like more.

BTW obviously everyone is free to make their own decisions for their own reasons, but personally I would never, ever do something because Ken Rockwell recommends it. Once someone has written a review of a lens they have never seen (as he has done), I find it very difficult to look to them for buying advice. Apart from which, brand choice is really not something he can be objective about.

i own an xti and ive shot a d40 and a d80...

i like the xti over the d40 but i liked the d80 over the xti... but its all personal preference. go and hold them in your hand, take a few shots with each and see which one you like the best. it isnt like a car... these two really are both amazing camera's, personal difference is the deciding factor

I have the D40x and really like it so far. Im still learning myself so its like my beginner camera. Ive heard great things about the XTi too though

they are both suitable cameras for you. i personally have nikons because i like they way they feel in my hand, but as crazy as this sounds, i really like the sound a canon's shutter makes. anyhow, i agree with above, go and try them out to get a feel for them

Add the Pentax K100D to your list aswell. Has just as good quality as the Nikon D40 in my opinion.

but as crazy as this sounds, i really like the sound a canon's shutter makes.

That's hilarious. I was in San Fran today taking pics at pier 39 and I heard this guy's canon go off next to me and I thought to myself, "what a satisfying sound. I wonder if all canon cameras sound like that."

That's hilarious. I was in San Fran today taking pics at pier 39 and I heard this guy's canon go off next to me and I thought to myself, "what a satisfying sound. I wonder if all canon cameras sound like that."

No, only at Pier 39 do cameras sound that way :)

BTW were the sea lions out while you were there?

I really want to get into photography and I was wondering which camera would best suit a beginner. Which one should I get the Canon Rebel XTi or the NIkon D40?

Before you make a decision, look at the prices of lenses. If you get the D40, notice you'll have to get a lens with Nikon's AF-S marking (assuming you want the ability to autofocus). Also notice these cost significantly more, and are generally not offered by your alternative vendors (Sigma, Tamron).

That is what swayed me away from the D40 in the end, in favor of the K100D, in addition to the K100D's in-body antishake.

You could also look into a used D50 if you want to use more than just AF-S lenses.

If it were me though I would get an XTi. Simply because my family and I have been shooting Canon and thats what I have the gear for.

I just wanted to add, so it doesn't seem like I bought the d40 just per Ken Rockwell's recommendation...

After reading various reviews, I spent a couple of days testing both cameras out.

I liked how the Nikon felt in my hand - holding it, it felt more comfortable. I also liked the three little boxes you focus through rather than the focus spots in the Canon. I also liked the 'kit' it came as, as 'newbie' as that sounds of me. I liked that the 55-200 was a VR lens as opposed to the extra lens that came withe the Canon that was not VR. Just a couple of trivial things but IMO they guided me towards the Nikon over the Canon.

Other than that, it was a tough decision since they are very similar cameras.

No, only at Pier 39 do cameras sound that way :)

BTW were the sea lions out while you were there?

yeah :)

It's funny because not many people were watching them while i was taking pictures, but when I came back twenty minutes later there were like 50 people at the spot I was at.

sealions.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back