Rebel XTi Starter kit suggestions?

glasseye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
So I am putting together a starter kit and would really appreciate any advice that you can offer. I originally wanted to go with the 5D, but was persuaded by another forum member to start with a cheaper body, and spend the bucks on good glass. As long as I get EF lenses I can always switch out the body later.

I'm not completely satisfied with what I've been reading about the 28-135mm lens particularly regarding its poor quality with full-frame cameras, but I want a mid-range lens preferably with IS and figure I can always sell it later with the body as a kit lens. However, if anyone has any recommendations for a mid-range lens, I would love to hear.

The camera will be used for a variety of settings including a studio setting, social events, nature, night.

Also are there any recommendations on cases for my camera & lenses? It would be great for it to fit the body with the battery grip and mid-range lens.

Has anyone tried out the Lensbaby 3G on this body?

In what situations is an auxillary flash needed? How is the onboard flash?

Overall, does anyone see anything missing from this starter kit?

Thanks and I appreciate all your replies.

[/FONT]

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
one thing...get a bigger case. You want a bag that'll fit whatever you have plus probably 2-3 more lenses...cause you never know what you're gonna add...

To start,
1) The XTi is a decent enough body to start with. Try it out though, to me it feels light and small.
2) Go with the larger Rocket Blower. Gives you a little more oomph. It's like eight bucks or something.
3) Excellent fast prime. A little long for my taste on the 1.6 crop sensor. Saving for the 35 f/1.4 L. (Another story) :grumpy:
4) Can always sub with the EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS or EF-S 18-55 f/2.8 IS or better yet EF 24-105 f/4 L IS. Do not have to upgrade the lens later if you upgrade to FF since it is an L and pretty darn good.
5) Nixx the filters for now until you get a hang of things, than see what you will need. The white-balance is iffy. Cool to have in studio settings where light is consistent, but can always fix later if you shoot RAW. I shoot nature/ wildlife so natural light changes every other frame.
6) Ditch the case and get something more substantial that you can carry a bit more in. There are plenty of shoulder/ holster bags that can carry the camera with lens attached, etra lens, flash, and accessories. Lowepro Slingbag comes to mind, Trkker, Kata Holster bag, etc.
7) Off-brand grips are a bit cheapish in construct. Came across enough threads of members having their's fall apart. Get the Canon one if you can. Extra battery is a welcome.
8) Get two 2GB or a 4 and 2 in case one craps out.
I have teh Lensbaby 2.0 not the 3G. figure there prettymuch al lthe same optically. The locking feature does make long exposures and repeatability possible. Need another arm though. :lmao:

Most reactions

Back