Recent maternity shoot

ang1995

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few from a recent maternity shoot I did. Please critique and leave any kind of feedback you may have since I'm still learning and need the help I can get. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using PhotoForum

Attachments

• $image-3101468941.jpg
    $image-3101468941.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 121
  • $image-3100418682.jpg
    $image-3100418682.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 118
  • $image-2830567549.jpg
    $image-2830567549.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 114
  • $image-1749466977.jpg
    $image-1749466977.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 105
  • $image-3528634229.jpg
    $image-3528634229.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 104
I'm not one to say much, but train tracks and baby blocks are quite cliche. Your lighting and composition looks alright, IMO.

kric2schaam626 said:
I'm not one to say much, but train tracks and baby blocks are quite cliche. Your lighting and composition looks alright, IMO.

yeah I know, you are right. Those were some that she wanted done. We also did others but I don't have them where I can post right now. Thanks! That's the big thing I was looking for. I always seem to have problems with lighting.

Last edited:
Anybody?

The skin tones I feel could use some warmth, they look rather pale, especially in the first. I know you can't help the cliche themes, client gets what client wants, keep shooting!

I kinda like the baby blocks. :thumbup:

C&C per req:

Thank-you, thank-you, THANK-YOU for not doing the "Heart of hands" shot!

1. This is a nice shot; the exposure is good and the composition is fine, albeit perhaps not the most exciting. I would suggest though, that it would have been stronger had you moved their arms; as-is they're obscuring a significant part of her belly, which is, after all, the "star" of the maternity shot. I think too, moving closer and having a little less above and below would have been better. Their eyes are a little dark and featureless.

2. As mentioned, cliche, but sometimes that's what the client wants, that's fine (as long as it wasn't your idea! ;) ) Be careful of the details however; not the laterally bisected arm and the busy, distracting background. I think a crop just below her breasts and above the arm would be better; in future, consider this against a white or black backdrop.

3. Again, a nice shot, but he's suffering from racoon-eyes; a reflector low and left would ahve made a lot of difference.

4. The same comments as per #1 with respect to arm position. While railroad tracks make great (if not over-used) leading lines, try and place the subject at, not in front of, the vanishing point. In this one it's not bad, but there is enough rail beyond the couple that it does try and grab the eye.

5. I'm afraid I get nothing from this one. The viewer doesn't really see either face, nor the fact that she is pregnant. A wider perspective might have worked better here. Try and avoid "messy" fingers; keep them together, and flat whenever possible.

Overall, a nice set.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

JamesRPhoto said:
The skin tones I feel could use some warmth, they look rather pale, especially in the first. I know you can't help the cliche themes, client gets what client wants, keep shooting!

I agree. They are pale people but yes the first one is a little to pale. Yeah exactly. Thanks!

Thanks for the comment!

jwbryson1 said:
I kinda like the baby blocks. :thumbup:

I'm not really digging the train track thing. Not because it's cliche, but because it's just...weird...

Kind of like "I'm pregnant and I want to portray stability/family, so lets go stand on some train tracks."

I mean, it kind of makes sense with senior portraits. "We're young, rebellious, and don't give a damn. Lets be edgy and stand on some train tracks." Maternity portraits...not so much...

It's almost like a parody or a darkly-comedic way of conveying "I hate children." It may not be that extreme, but there is a logical disconnect between the environment and the subjects for me.

rexbobcat said:
I'm not really digging the train track thing. Not because it's cliche, but because it's just...weird...

Kind of like "I'm pregnant and I want to portray stability/family, so lets go stand on some train tracks."

I mean, it kind of makes sense with senior portraits. "We're young, rebellious, and don't give a damn. Lets be edgy and stand on some train tracks." Maternity portraits...not so much...

It's almost like a parody or a darkly-comedic way of conveying "I hate children." It may not be that extreme, but there is a logical disconnect between the environment and the subjects for me.

Ummm... Okay. I personally kinda like it and I thought the background was pretty. I think maybe that's just a personal preference and personally I think you took that a little extreme but whatever. They were happy with them and that makes me happy so I don't really care.

Maybe I just think that because I'm an amateur and still learning.

rexbobcat said:

Ummm... Okay. I personally kinda like it and I thought the background was pretty. I think maybe that's just a personal preference and personally I think you took that a little extreme but whatever. They were happy with them and that makes me happy so I don't really care.

Where is my z-snap gif...

2naqp39.gif

Oh, found it.

I'm sorry for assuming that the choice of background was deliberate and not just 'it looks pretty', but whatever.
Also; sarcasm. It exists on the internet (dundundun)

Most reactions

Back