Recent Night shots

Geronimo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
With the nights slowly disappearing up here I have been trying to capture them. You know since I dont see them too often in the summer times.

lighted%20path.jpg

iced%20grouds.jpg

031704.jpg

031504.jpg

031404.jpg

031204.jpg

critique/comments welcomed

great to see you post mate, i think its been a little while since i've seen your last post.

My favourite here is the the playground. Was this a colour shot beforehand? Anyways i dig the black and white here. For some reason my imagination sees that lightball go through the tunnel and out the end. My eyes are constantly drawn to this shot. very cool.

The colour in your shots are fab (but #3's a bit too dark for me) and i like number 5 too, but I could going to that playground shot :D Good stuff, hopefully you'll get more chances to pics soon!

Btw, whats your set up?

Thanks Mark.

I shot all with a Canon digital Rebel, mainly using the 18-55 EF len. The playground was shot in color origanlly but the colors didnt come out like I prefered. With the trail light, the snow became a orangish tint, but if I set the snow as white I believe the overcasted sky became a tad out of range then I would of prefered.

As far as the third one, I have gone back and forth on that one. I do have a lighter version but the sky and clouds dont stand out as much as with this one.

1,4, and 6 are the ones that stand out for me.

I love the contrast of the orange snow and the dark deep blue sky in the first one. On the fourth one I mainly like the glow of the sign washing across the side of the building. The last one has alot of colors standing out against, again, a brooding and dark blue sky. Very beautiful pics....

First of all, Geronimo, I am HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY :D that I can see your photos at all. Remember - I could never see them for most of the time I've been a member.

And then I just love the first one.
Orange and a deep dark blue are among my favourites, anyway, I think those two colours go together sooo well, so the other photos appeal to me, too.

But #1 has what I so love: diagonal lines leading somewhere.
Present me with a photo of the kind and I'll love it. That's just me, I think.

The playground in b+w comes right next. Not only in your "list", but also in my estimation.
Closely followed by all the other dark-blue-and-orange ones :).

So from when on do you see only day? (Interesting aspect of life... whereas the constant night would depress me, I fear...!)

Well LaFoto, starting around May or so the summer does not set till around midnight or so. I literaly see the sun at 3am in midjuly as it is setting for a quick nap before rising again at 4am or so. It is not the oppisite in the winter though.

The playground is what stands out for me. It's magical, a little spooky, and has a nice range of tones. I really like it. My eye dances around the image and doesn't become bored. I also think it works really well as a B&W.

The rest are neat, but there is a fair amount of dead space that doesn't do much for my eye. It's more about the colors.

I think you would have a gem in that Club 25 (or is it 25 Cent Club?) sign if you cropped it square. If you came in from the right and down from the top, the sign wouldn't get so lost amongst the side of the building, which is currently your main subject due to the amount of space it takes up in the image.

I gotta say again how much I like that playground!

I like the eeriness of 3 but it seems a little dark still. Over all very nice clear shots on a dark night.

composition in #2 outstanding. i like the mood you captured here, too-- the light shining above the playground, silent winter sentinal, guarding the children's special retreat....

excellent shot.

#3 too dark for any detail at all to come through on my monitor

#6 might be improved if a) you move the left crop line in to just outside the first lamp post, and the right crop line in to the edge of the building (where corner is created as roofline turns 90 degrees and becomes right wall line)
also, not sure if this would help or ruin it, but you might want to consider a free-transform to correct the awkward slant of the horizon. this last rule, however, is one that i feel is easily broken and often improves the composition, so maybe leave it as is...

real good to see some shots from ya, man! keep em comin... (like Mr. Darcy)

Most reactions

Back