Recently I've Become Obsessed

Clikon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope you're able to tolerate yet another question about "which camera to buy". I've been perusing the threads for a couple days now on TPF and have noticed there's a fairly broad range of opinions on this subject.

I have 2 girls, and another on the way. I'm an "at-home dad" and have amassed about 3 GB of digital photos over the last 4 years with a Canon PowerShot A75.

I can probably count the number of decent pictures I've taken with it on one hand. So, I've never been really happy with it. (I know what you're thinking..."there's the chance it's the user, not the camera") I realize that...

However, it just quit working recently. It just has a purple screen, almost like there's a lens cap on it or something. I think it's time to move on to a more powerful camera, and now's the right time...

I'll get to the point. I can't stop thinking about the D60. It's seriously all I think about anymore. I think I have it in 3 or 4 different shopping carts from amazon to ritzcameras.com and a couple others.

I wouldn't discount the Canon...at all, but since i didn't like the powershot, I'm biased. Besides that, I'm stuck on Nikon for some reason, much like I'm stuck on Porter Cable tools.

All I want is good pictures. Is that too much to ask?

My biggest gripe with the Canon PS was the auto focus. For example, at the zoo, with the kids, I tried over and over to get a picture of the monkeys, but instead I got a picture of the fence, which was a foot in front of me.

I'll let this suffice for now. So sorry to rant so much.

Well, all SLR lenses have a manual focus option (I think all) which will allow you to focus whatever you want without being angry at the autofocus (I had the same problem with my old digital camera)

I'm using a Canon EOS 400D (also known as the Digital Rebel XTi in America I believe) and I couldn't be happier, I'm not sure how it stacks up to the D60 but it's a great camera for a beginner, or at least that's what I think.

My Flickr link is at the bottom of my post if you want to see what all I've taken with it. (This is with the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, not a great lens, but not too shoddy really)

Clear case of incipient NAS (Nikon Aquisition Syndrome)
This is, unfortunately, incurable but flareups can be managed by acquiring cameras, lenses or, to a lesser extent, accessories.

My prescription is to buy the camera and call me in the morning.

Lew
:lmao:

Welcome to the forum.

However, the old pos just quit working recently. I decided to take it apart during nap time one day and I happened to touch something inside it that looked like a AAA battery and got quite a shock. I've been shocked by household electricity before and this was right up there in terms of electrifying sensations
Sounds like you found the flash capacitor. :lol:

As you may have read...pretty much all the modern DSLR cameras are pretty good. So if you have a predisposed inclination for a Nikon, that's as good a reason as any.

My advice is to at least hold the different models in your price range. You may find that one or another feels better in your hands.

As you know...it's not necessarily the gear, it's the photographer. So if all you want is good pictures...it would be a good idea to learn as much as you can (during nap times ;) ) and practice when you can. Good knowledge and technique will take you farther than gear.

First of all what gave you that jolt was the place where the charge is stored for the flash. I use to work at Ritz and we always made sure to discharge the flash on disposable cameras to avoid just that issue. As far as cameras go if you are not sure what to get go to a store like a Ritz or some other camera store making sure it is a camera store and not something like a Best Buy or Wal-Mart or something go where they know the gear and can show you the camera from top to bottom. Go there and handle everything you can afford and see what works for you. After you do all that go ahead and purchase the camera from the nice person who helped you because they did such a nice job helping you. If the person at the store goes through all the work to guide you through what is the best camera for you you should not turn around and buy it online just to save a few bucks.

Wow!!! in the time it took me to type my reply 3 people added theirs....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24799551@N07/

Let's see if this works...as I said, a handful of pictures that are "OK".

This is a 3.2 MP Canon Powershot A75. As I said, it's deceased. But I would love to step up in my ability to produce quality photos. Nowhere to go but up I guess. What do you think of these pictures though (with the powershot)?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24799551@N07/

Let's see if this works...as I said, a handful of pictures that are "OK".

This is a 3.2 MP Canon Powershot A75. As I said, it's deceased. But I would love to step up in my ability to produce quality photos. Nowhere to go but up I guess. What do you think of these pictures though (with the powershot)?

There's no question that you'll benefit from owning an SLR and, of course, owning a Nikon SLR increaes one's Intelligence Quotient by 24 points!

Or... maybe it's simply that more intelligent persons buy Nikons?

There's no question that you'll benefit from owning an SLR

I'm interpreting this as a fair, yet diplomatically sensitive critique of my posted photos. As I said, nowhere to go but up.

If I purchase a Nikon, and my IQ increases by 24 points, that will put me at 25. Sounds like a logical investment.

I use to work at Ritz and we always made sure to discharge the flash on disposable cameras to avoid just that issue.

Forgetting to do that is its own punishment. Those little capacitors can really bark at you...

I remember when I was a wee lad, I had a knack for taking things apart to see what made them tick. My mom bought me clearanced disposable just for that reason (otherwise I would take more expensive things apart). I VIVIDLY remember cracking the case...and the it felt like Hades was unleashed on my hand....over 20 years ago, and I'm just learning what that was...Thanks yall! :)

I'm like a madman. I keep looking at my shopping carts. Why can't I pull the trigger?? N60. It has to be right. Perhaps I should shock myself again.

I'm like a madman. I keep looking at my shopping carts. Why can't I pull the trigger?? N60. It has to be right. Perhaps I should shock myself again.
See, you are actually having 2nd thoughts since you were talking all about the D60 earlier and have now switched to the N60!

:D

Don't mind me... Just on the computer mourning the Penguin's loss to the Rangers tonight. :cry:

LOL I didn't even realize that. Thanks for pointing it out. I think it must have been about 5 to 8 years ago that I was in a similar buying situation and almost bought the N65. I didn't. I don't know. I'll sleep on it for 2 or 3 nights and might change my mind. Might never return to TPF. I hope not though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back