Rechargeable Batteries

Luke345678

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For a while now I've been using standard double a batteries for my external flash because I... well... um I misplaced by rechargeable batteries that it came with... :p I need to get another set because as many of you probably know flashes eat through batteries fast and it sucks having to keep buying them. From what I hear, there are rechargeable batteries that are better than others. I'd like about 8-12 if possible so I can always have backups on me, you never know!

Thanks,

-Luke

My experience is that SLOW recharging, which keeps the batteries from getting hot, really helps nickel metal hydride and ni-cad batteries last a long time. Something like a 12 to 13 hour charging cycle is what I have had the best luck with.

There are standard nickel metal hydride rechargeables available, as well as the "long-life/slow discharge" types like the Sanyo Eneloop line. I have been buying Ansmann brand 2500- and 2700 milli-ampere hour batteries for the last few years, and those seem pretty good, paired with my slooooow, 12-hour charger.

I think you really might want to investigate a good charger, like the ones made by Maha, for example, and totally stay away from the 1- to 3-hour chargers...I think those things just fry batteries...

Derrel has already made some very good points - slow recharging improves the life of any rechargeable battery. Fast recharging simply kills their lifespan utterly - especially for flash units because the batteries can be charged and drained almost on a daily basis if you're shooting a lot.

For battery types the slow discharge kind are the best to get, you can leave them in the flash and they won't lose their charge. Conventional rechargeable batteries will drain down over time and suddenly you'll pick up the flash - get a few shots and it will die. Personally I've been using the Sanyo Eneloop for ages and they give great performance - now though Duracell and other brands have their own slow recharge versions on the market so you've some breadth of choice on that front.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use 3800 mAh recharables for lots of storage power.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back