Rechargeables in flash?

Chris H.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Ive heard mixed talk about using rechargable AA's in a flash....I just wanted to hear everyones opinion on whether its a good idea or nt and if you are using them what type?

Thanks!
Chris

Rechargables are all I use - 2700mAh NiMh

I use them too. Just make sure you keep each set seperate. I have 2 flashes, and 4 sets of 4 rechargeables. 2 sets of Duracells (but they are different colors) a set of Energizers, and a set of Quantaray batteries. That way, you keep each set together. That is important, especially if you have some sets that are older than others.

I get about 200-250 flashes before I have to change the batteries.

No I'd rather go through 4AAs every day just for the sole purpose of pissing off Capt. Planet and his army of greenies.

:roll:

For the record forget NiCads. NiMh are the only really affordable acceptable solution as NiCads don't produce enough juice quickly enough and the voltage drops quickly when they start going flat so you get less photos out of a charge.

Rechargeables here too. I use 3 different kinds in my SB-800 and find that the 2700's give you about 10-12 more flashes than the el-cheapo rechargeable ones. In a pinch it is always worth it, but its rare that I am in circumstances where 2 sets of recharged batteries are used in an evening event. I always use the 5th external battery holder for my SB-800 to shorten latency between shots. Makes purchasing them an interesting situation. :)

Rechargeables here as well.

Alkaline batteries are OK when they are fresh, but the recycle times start to get longer and longer, even when the batteries still have juice. NiMH batteries tend to keep the recycle times faster, until they are almost dead.

Of course, there is the environmental aspect. Batteries are very bad for landfills.

I use rechargables as well. However, I keep a pack of 12 non-rechargables in my camera bag at all times just in case the re-chargables let me down for some reason (It's never happened).

I would suggest you get yourself a quick charger. I've got an Energiser charger that charges 4 AA batteries in about 40 minutes. It also uses my 12v outlet in the car so if worst comes to the worst I can charge up another 4 batteries in the car.

From memory I've got 16 rechargable AAs, but I really need another 4 because the SB-800 takes 5 (with the side battery). As Jerry said, it makes buying batteries an interesting experience.

All I use anymore. I have Energizers and, Duracells both work great. I just carry about a dozen extra. You can never have enough juice.

Rechargables for me as well. I have 2 sets of rechargables for each of my flash units. A total of 24 batteries right now. One set is always a set of Sanyo eneloops and the other is a set of 2700 mAh's. The eneloops I like as they will hold 85-90% of their charge after a year on the shelf. Handy to have around, although they are only 2000 mAh's.

I only use Energizer rechargables, in my experience they seem to last longer than other batteries.

Only problem is in SA i can only get them in 2500 mAh

I've been using Sanyo Eneloops and they're amazing compared to the no name rechargables I was using. I think thay're rated at 2100 vs. 2700 of most "standard" rechargables but they're low discharge batteries and if the advertising it true, should hold 85% of a full charge over a year with no use.

I have two sets that I was using along with a set of the generics in three different flashes one night. The generics were dead after an hour because of the cold and the Sanyos were still firing. After that, I figured they were definitely worth it.

Most reactions

Back