Recomend me a zoom lens please

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a zoom lens few weeks ago, was very happy till I really got to use it and I found the pictures on my 70-210mm Nikon zoom lens are very soft when I zoom it out of the 70mm.
I am going on a trip soon to see the Rocky mountains in BC and I need a nice zoom lens.
So here is what I am looking for...................

1.Because all the expenses I really need the lens to be as cheap as possible. Second hand is definitly a possibility!
2.Lens need to be for full frame camera and AF but it doesnt need to have inbody AF motor because my D7000 has its own AF motor.
3.I am ok with any brand and I am not limiting myself to Nikon only
4.I am fine with any zoom 200mm and above.

I found a NIKKOR 70-300mm f4-5.6D for 140$ used from a very solid seller how is this lens ?

Can you post some pictures from that lens you think are too soft with the exif data?

Are you sure its a lens related softness issue and not a focusing issue?
Do you have your camera set to only release the shutter if you have good focus, or just whenever you push the button?

Are you doing any processing to the photo that might be softening it?

Do you have the aperture wide open or stopped down a bit?

I've never seen a copy of the Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6D that was worth $100.. Horrible lenses IMHO..

The Nikon 70-300VR is the lens you want.. ~$350US refurbished from Nikon (Adorama or B&H) or $590US new.

I've never seen a copy of the Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6D that was worth $100.. Horrible lenses IMHO..

The Nikon 70-300VR is the lens you want.. ~$350US refurbished from Nikon (Adorama or B&H) or $590US new.

Thanks for the warning I just scratched it off my list and thank you for the recomendation.

BTW I thought I posted this at the Nikon Lens forum so Meds you are welcome to move this thread to that section.

Any more advices or recomendations ?

Can you post some pictures from that lens you think are too soft with the exif data?

Are you sure its a lens related softness issue and not a focusing issue?
Do you have your camera set to only release the shutter if you have good focus, or just whenever you push the button?

Are you doing any processing to the photo that might be softening it?

Do you have the aperture wide open or stopped down a bit?
In regards to my old lens, I have posted a question about it but got no real help.
Some pictures were posted too.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nikon-lenses/326578-need-advice-regarding-my-lens.html

Both Sigma and Tamron have older model 28-300, 70-300, 18-2x0 lenses around your price... but after looking at the pictures in your other post i think your going to get the exact same results from ANY $100 zoom lens in the ~200mm range.

Both Sigma and Tamron have older model 28-300, 70-300, 18-2x0 lenses around your price... but after looking at the pictures in your other post i think your going to get the exact same results from ANY $100 zoom lens in the ~200mm range.
Hmmm so you are saying what I got is not a problem with lens and more a problem of basic lens design ?

If I want to get better results I will need to get a batter and more expensive lens ?

Then I might have to look into the Nikon 70-300VR you suggested, its more then I want to spend but its pointless to replace one lens with another and get same results.

Last edited:
The 70-300 G-series VR lens is a very good lens. It isn't a DX lens so will work with full-frame cameras, and dollar for dollar is very, very hard to beat on a Nikon. I've had mine for several years and it is one of my all-around favorites.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that good glass, especially long glass or fast glass or long fast glass, is not cheap. It isn't cheap new and it isn't cheap used. When you get past 200mm, or even fast lenses of 200mm, the price goes up dramatically. $500 new for a 300mm lens IS cheap! $1000 new for a 500mm lens IS cheap. It's not the same as it is with short lenses. Here is a 500mm f/4 prime that is $8,000 new.

The 70-300 G-series VR lens is a very good lens. It isn't a DX lens so will work with full-frame cameras, and dollar for dollar is very, very hard to beat on a Nikon. I've had mine for several years and it is one of my all-around favorites.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that good glass, especially long glass or fast glass or long fast glass, is not cheap. It isn't cheap new and it isn't cheap used. When you get past 200mm, or even fast lenses of 200mm, the price goes up dramatically. $500 new for a 300mm lens IS cheap! $1000 new for a 500mm lens IS cheap. It's not the same as it is with short lenses. Here is a 500mm f/4 prime that is $8,000 new.

Thank you Scott, if I needed just a little push then you did it.
I am pretty much set my eyes on the Nikon 70-300VR and now I just need to find the best deal on one.

One question though, I see this Nikon is being compared to the Tamaron 70-300mm VC, any idea which one is better ?
Their prices are very closed.

Thank you Scott, if I needed just a little push then you did it.
I am pretty much set my eyes on the Nikon 70-300VR and now I just need to find the best deal on one.

One question though, I see this Nikon is being compared to the Tamaron 70-300mm VC, any idea which one is better ?

Nope, sorry. Mine is the Nikon but I've also heard good things about the Tamron and Sigma 70-300. Personally if the prices are close I'd go with the Nikon because I KNOW it's a good lens.

I've seen some good images with the Tamron... however like most Tamron lenses its AF speed is sloooow . The Nikon 70-300VR is semi-pro quality lens (good build, super fast AF). You won't regret buying one.

In my lens flipping days i could pick up a 70-300VR for ~$300 used.. The trick is to show the seller that you can get a Refurb with warranty for ~$350. Good luck!

*edit*
KEH.com has a few 70-300VR's for $339 (EX+) or $325 (EX).
I've also had good luck with a specific eBay seller... if you want his info PM me.

I've seen some good images with the Tamron... however like most Tamron lenses its AF speed is sloooow . The Nikon 70-300VR is semi-pro quality lens (good build, super fast AF). You won't regret buying one.

In my lens flipping days i could pick up a 70-300VR for ~$300 used.. The trick is to show the seller that you can get a Refurb with warranty for ~$350. Good luck!

*edit*
KEH.com has a few 70-300VR's for $339 (EX+) or $325 (EX).
I've also had good luck with a specific eBay seller... if you want his info PM me.

Thanks, I am pretty much set on the Nikon but buyinh it from the US will means shipping+tx which gets it close to a retail price here in Canada.
I will need to get it local (kijij?) or ebay where I can control the price (if I win of course).

Canada... well that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish eh!

You will not be disappointed with Nikon 70-300 VR. I have got mine a couple of weeks ago and I am very happy - sharp, good contrast, good colors. The zoom ring is a bit stiff, probably because it is new. But otherwise I can not fault this lense at all. Not too big, not too heavy and contrary to what I have read it is still sharp at 300. And it has an impressive reach with a DX camera. I shot deer with this lense and even with this focal length they do not let you come close enough to them for a close-up. But it was sharp at 300 mm even after a crop. So I am very happy. And it shares same 67 mm filters with Nikon 16-85 VR.

You will not be disappointed with Nikon 70-300 VR. I have got mine a couple of weeks ago and I am very happy - sharp, good contrast, good colors. The zoom ring is a bit stiff, probably because it is new. But otherwise I can not fault this lense at all. Not too big, not too heavy and contrary to what I have read it is still sharp at 300. And it has an impressive reach with a DX camera. I shot deer with this lense and even with this focal length they do not let you come close enough to them for a close-up. But it was sharp at 300 mm even after a crop. So I am very happy. And it shares same 67 mm filters with Nikon 16-85 VR.

What a long story this is.
I was pretty much set to get the Nikon, checked kijiji and found one for 350$, talked the seller down to 300$ and set a time to meet.
When I told my wife she gave me such a face I had to cancel this.
So after begging and pleading my wife I went back to the computer and looked up cheaper options.
Sigma and Tamron has non VR versions which look sharp enough for 200$ and less so I was ready to buy them but at the last moment I stopped, thought about this, I really want to get the Nikon so now my wife warmed up enough for the idea and I am safe to get the Nikon.

So....................

I found another guy from kijiji selling a Nikon 70-300mm VR for 300$ and I talked him down to 280$ so with some luck I will buy the lens from him sometime next week but as long as the lens is not hooked up to my camera I am not celebrating.

BTW I dont own the 16-85m VR lens, its a DX lens and I dont do DX lenses, I have the 24-85mm VR which is a fantastic lens and is my favorite lens which I mostly use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back