Recommend: a good light meter

Treymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joejohnsonphotography.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I am in the market for a good light meter. I purchased a Bronica ETRSI and it doesn't have a built in meter in the viewfinder (there are some viewfinders for it that do have a metering system though). But I would rather get a ligtht meter than buy a viewfinder. I have a Canon Elan with built in meter that I could use to take readings for my Bronica, but I don't like that solution too much.

So can anybody recommend a good light meter for a cheap price, I'm looking at less than $50, if there is such a thing. I'm probably going to buy it on eBay.

Thanks.

I think that one of the best, most underpriced lightmeters in the old Gossen Profisix, also called the Luna Pro SBC, as far as I know. I've seen those go for between $50 and $100 on eBay, but patience may be required if you want one at the bottom end of that scale. They are extremely sensitive (down to EV -8 at ISO 100) and quite intuitive to use. The basic meter does incident and reflective readings of continuous light. There are various attachments that can increase the versatility of the meter. Do you want a meter that will measure flash as well as continuous light?

Best,
Helen

I have to agree with Helen (Not that I would dare disagree) the ubiquitous Luna-Brick is certainly your best deal for the money assuming you don't need flash, and I think I vaguely recall a flash model or attachment but I've not seen one. I've still got a couple of old selenium meters at home that I use ambient light macro work, and they do a fine job. I suspect you could find them for <$10 at your local used retailer.

I picked up an old Weston Master II for $10 w/shipping Tuesday.

The thing to watch for is whether the Selenium cell is still fairly strong. If the internet is to be believed then the real bane of the cells is moisture not light. Although I've read that they can be worn out.

There are free copies of the manuals around if you don't get one (if you wind up with a Weston). The manual even shows how to calibrate one.

The thing with a Weston is that it measures actual candle power -down to .2- and then you plug that into the manual calculator and there you go. A reading of .2 is according to the manual a dimly lit room.

Unless you find a screaming deal on a II or III I'd look for a Master IV or V.

p.s. it's British so Helen might forgive you. :lol::lol:

Oh and by the way, if I'm not mistaken Weston is still making them if you wnat a new one. ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back