Recommend me..

ochriso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want 2 lenses for my Nikon D3200, A zoom for things like ships off the coast line, birds up in tree's etc and a lense for street photography that is better than my 18-55mm VR kit lense. I was thinking 35mm 1.8 but maybe you have a better idea? I don't know lenses very well.

the Nikon 70-300vr is a nice lens, for the price, can be found used for around $350. unless you really step up in price you wont find much better for around that, for telephoto. the 35mm 1.8 is also a nice lens. I had one when I first got into photography on a d5100, good lens on dx

I'll second the Nikon 70-300 VRII as I used to own that and it was a great tool! For street photography, I would look into the 35 1.8G or the Signal 17-50 OS.

If you're looking for reach, on a budget... Nikon AF-S 55-300 VR would be a great option.

I'll add my backing to the 70-300

I have the 55-200 in the same environment images from the 70-300 are brighter and have better color depth.

same environment = same day minutes apart.

Thank you gentlemen! How about for street stuff?

The 35mm prime you mentioned IMO is good for street photography. You have to do a lot of stepping and backing up though as obviously it has no zoom. But it is definitely sharper than the 18-55mm kit lens. For me, a trinity set of lenses is ideal instead of two. 1) a walkaround lens which is the kit lens; 2) a telephoto zoom lens and 3) a prime lens for sharper pictures especially for portraits. Of course if you have the budget better lenses would be great. ;)

I second the recommendation on the 35mm. Great lens, small and light, and great depth of field. The prime has the advantage of making you move instead of zooming. As Ming Thein pointed out to me, unless you need the reach of a lens, you need to choose the focal length for the depth of field not picture framing. Yeh, makes you walk, but makes your photo a three dimensional composition and to boot it will be sharper, the lens lighter, and likely have greater light gathering ability. Like almost no down side. The 50mm f1.4 is good to. JD

Most reactions

Back