Recommendation please!

Kentanner11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a fuji S5000 and its great and all but its time for a major upgrade!

About my photography:
I do a very wide range- stills, portraits, sports, artsy/abstract, animals

I like having a higher FPS; a minimum of 3 and I like having a high ISO speed

Live preview, hotshoe, and support for at least a 2mb memory card (any type) is a must,

(less expensive is better)

I need your help! Thanks! :D

Most of the entry level DSLR cameras (with the right lens/lenses) will suit your needs. You might even want to consider a 'prosumer' level DSLR.

What is your budget?

Ive allotted about $800 for the body and what ever lens it comes with....

I was considering the D80 but found out it didnt have live preview. Does the D40 ( I know about the lenses)? I was also considering the EOS 50D....

I have held a variety of Nikons (D40, D70, D80) and a few Canons (XSi, etc) and honestly didnt like the grip on either one. The Nikons had a nice deep grip for your fingers but didnt have enough thumb space. It was the complete opposite of the Canons.
I would like to get an extra grip/battery for what ever camera I get.

Yes, the 40D does have Live view. Although, from most of what I've heard, Live View is more of a frill on an SLR type camera, so I wouldn't choose a camera based on that.

You may want to read this discussion on Live View before discounting models that don't have it.

Any of the bodies in your price range are capable of producing very good images. Best to go with one that feels good in your hands and is easy to navigate the menus.

However, this has been said before, but it bears repeating. Keep in mind that you will be buying into a system, not necessarily a single purchase when considering dSLRs. Look into the lenses and accessories available by each company to determine which better suits your needs now and in the future.

Without live view do you just use the view finder?
Yes. It might be hard to understand, coming from a 'digi-cam'...but looking through an actual TTL viewfinder really is better than using the screen.

What is your opinion of the WFT-E3(A) wireless transmitter ?
I don't know anyone who uses one. It's quite expensive and is really only good for one purpose (AFAIK)...and that's sending the images back to a computer while shooting. It might be a cool feature to use when shooting in studio...but not useful other than that.

You may want to read this discussion on Live View before discounting models that don't have it.

hmm.. I get the point gryphonslair99 made-

This is why in most cases live view is wasted in on a DSLR.

canonr70200pp3.jpg

body & 70-200
Not really a combo that works well at arms length.

Neither is this.
2470cx1.jpg

body & 24-70

^^ I have Live View on my D300 and have used it only a few times to see how it works. I can see much more use of it when mounted on a tripod, but as a normal shooting method - ehh uhh. You get much better balance and control when putting to your face looking through the viewfinder.

The thing that I see people overlook quite frequently about live view is focusing At large apertures. Also, people with glasses often have a hard time manual focusing dslrs because they dont have split prisms and live view makes it much easier.

I am almost decided- the Canon EOS 40D does anyone have any experience with this camera? I have looked at some reviews and they are saying all the right things. I am going to go to my local photography store where the cameras are not corded down so I can get a sense of the camera's weight and grip.

I have the 40D and it is pretty great. It has all of the features I Wish my 5D had except for the sensor size.

not really. The autofocus is fast. The high ISO performance is great. The only thing I don't like is the sensor size and that is nothing to B&M over. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and never misses a beat. It's also pretty solidly built and the shutter is quiet.

not really. The autofocus is fast. The high ISO performance is great. The only thing I don't like is the sensor size and that is nothing to B&M over. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and never misses a beat. It's also pretty solidly built and the shutter is quiet.

Exactly what I wanted to hear lol! :mrgreen: What accessories and/or lenses do you have ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back