Recommendations for a small point and shoot

Nevermore1

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As the title says I am looking to purchase a rather small compact point and shoot. I normally use my DSLR but like having something in my purse with me at all times. I like having one for things like unplanned detours to the Great-Grandparent's for the kids and I like being able to get updated photos of them with the kids since they aren't in the best health or any other unplanned stop, outing or event where I don't have my DSLR. I had what I think was a Nikon Coolpix (it was at least 6 years old, I could be totally wrong on what it was) but it was lost when I was in the car wreck in October and I'd like to get a replacement. I think it probably flew out of my bag when they car rolled and either got stuck under a seat in the car and I missed it when cleaning out the car or it ended up on the side of the highway. I'm willing to spend up to $400 on something but haven't really kept up on P&S cameras the past several years. Yes, I know cell phone cameras are getting to be just as good or better but I really don't like using them. So, any recommendations for a good quality P&S for unplanned photos? Thanks!

I've had nothing but good luck with my Canon s95. I love it. I'm not sure what version Canon is up to now, but when mine bites the dust, I'll probably move to their newest s95 replacement.

It can shoot in RAW. It has manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, and program modes, in addition to full auto (for when the wife takes it). It's even pretty good with action shots...

Roxy Park-4
by Wade, on Flickr

Roxy Park - Crops-1
by Wade, on Flickr

Not to mention being able to take some pretty awesome shots... :smile:

Wildwood-123
by Wade, on Flickr

I think it might be smart to go to the preview.com or to Imaging resource.com and check out their list of pocket and purse digicams based on end-use and price. Many people buy digicams by brand, often missing models from other manufacturers that might be better. I myself am on my second Canon G-series. I like the G-series because it offers RAW or RAW,+Jpg capture, and it has a hot shoe which can take a flash Trigger or an external Speedlight, and it offers manual control and multiple modes like P, Tv or Time-value Aperture value, manual,Custom 2, Custom 2, plus 4 program modes and video, and also green button Complete Auto everything. It uses standard Canon BP-511A DSLR batteries, and I've got a bunch of batteries.

This is an older model with a lens that is very fast: f/2.0 at the wide end and f/3.0 at the long end. The Canon PowerShot G series has been made for well over a decade now, and have gone up as high as 15 MP that I know of. The newest model I looked at was last Christmas at Best Buy, and it had an amazing feel to it, and the mechanical controls on the top deck were outstanding. Close to a perfect camera.

The newest PowerShot G models are Point & Shoot-sized, but are actually very capable cameras for serious shooters too. If you want.

IMG_20161228_195949.jpg IMG_20161228_200004.jpg IMG_20161228_195925.jpg I forgot to say that this camera was outrageously expensive. I paid $8.99 with a dead battery in it at Desseret Industries thrift shop.

I use to say the samething about phone cameras but everytime I use my Galaxy S7, I am just blown away by the quality of the RAW files and now that Lightroom updated and added Lens profile for the phone, they look even better!

Anyways.

I'd take a serious look at the Sony RX100, the first one. Sony still makes it and you can buy it new at B&H for under $400. It has a nice 1" sensor and its compact. The image quality will be superior than the cheaper point and shoots with really tiny sensors and it will be A LOT better in low light.

I've had nothing but good luck with my Canon s95. I love it. I'm not sure what version Canon is up to now, but when mine bites the dust, I'll probably move to their newest s95 replacement.

It can shoot in RAW. It has manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, and program modes, in addition to full auto (for when the wife takes it). It's even pretty good with action shots...

Roxy Park-4
by Wade, on Flickr

Roxy Park - Crops-1
by Wade, on Flickr

I had one of those and it was a slick little camera. Still have it but it had issues from being dropped by someone who borrowed it.

Sony RX100 I or II
Canon G9x

Saw a Canon PowerShot G11, asking for $110 recently...would likely take $75-$80. Just saying, $799-$899 Point & Shoot on the sued market are worth veryyyy little...

fuji xf1
2/3 sensor, 4x zoom with f1.8-4.9 lens.
does well at ISO 1600
>$200

you could spend a little more and get the slightly newer xq1
same basic camera with a few minor upgrades.
>$300

Last edited:
If you really want to save some money, you can always check out the trusty Panasonic LX7. You can find them used around $200 or less.

It's an older camera and has smaller sensor, but still very good.

Most reactions

Back