Recommendations for Continuous Lighting

OP, where are you located? It may make more sense to rent a strobe kit and pass the cost onto your client. Seriously.

As everyone else said - DIFFUSION... Now, you need to play around with this. I would use the diffusion panel with one head behind it, and a big bounce card on the other side with a naked head (too diffuse = too flat1 - everything in moderation!) Outside you were getting all sorts of errant light from the earth and the sun, which is a very harsh source, regardless if you're key light was through the diffusion panel.

Balance your sources - perhaps add a bit of CTO gel to your key or kicker to add some spectral difference. It takes some time to perfect that, but it can really make stuff pop.

Can't wait to see your examples!

You are getting there Chris..

Couple of thoughts...

It helps to leave the exif info intact.

Turn up the power on the light on the right. Normally you are looking for a lighting ratio, something like 2/1 but you don't want drama here, you want a well lit object.

Consider stuffing the arms of the jacket and arranging them in something other than a straight down orientation.

Move the mannequin forward from the backdrop and add another light on the background. That will seperate the jacket from the backdrop and give it some dimension, right now it's rather flat. And a lit background will save a bunch of time in post processing.

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
To edit the background use the Quick Selection tool or the Magic Wand Tool.

It took about 4 seconds to select the background using the Magic Wand tool. Then make an Exposure Adjustment layer and add 2 stops of exposure to the background, another 4 seconds.
Since you haven't selected an Edit Preference in your profile, let me know if you want me to deleted the edited image.

Image deleted per OP request.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back