Recommendations for good 'basic' DSLR? Nikon, Canon...?

LilFish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I'm new to this site and would love input. We currently have the Nikon D300 and like it but I'd also like a camera similar in picture quality, speed, etc but without the weight and so many options. Is there something that's good for everyday use for pictures of children, etc?

I was looking at the new Nikon D3200 and the J1/V1 (which I know isn't DSLR) but there's not too much info from consumers out yet. I'm not too familiar with Canon.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

One of the reasons that people generally go for DSLRs is for the features, added controls, etc. If that's not working for you, you might want to consider either an EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder/Interchangeable Lens) or Bridge. The Sony NEX series (5, 5n and 7) are all very nice. The J1 is not terribly well reviewed, and two things that stand out to me when I've looked at it are cheap-feeling build-quality and a very small sensor. A high-end bridge camera such as the Canon G12 might work as well; full control if you want it, or P&S mode if you don't. Your best bet will be to go to a big camera store and go through the options with a sales-person.

I say go for the D3200, check out these amazing low light photos and nice dynamic range with the new 24mp sensor :
Nikon D3200 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

I don't really agree with tirediron, with all do respect, i don't trust any salesman and p&s are crap compared to a DSLR. mirorless are meh...maybe only the higher end mirrorless, which is not relevant to you anyway...

If you already have a D300, but want higher image quality, fewer controls, and lighter weight...the D3200 sounds like just the ticket in the small,light,simple P&S d-slr category. The EVIL camera class tirediron mentioned is now also being called by other names...compact interchangeble lens camera category, mirrorless interchangeable lens camera,yadda yadda.. For smaller,lighter, and more-pocketable cameras, the "mirrorless" cameras (aka EVIL,CILC,yadda yadda) there are neat offerings from Panasonic, Sony,and Olympus, with various degrees of size and compactness and weight. Nikon has two new models, which can use Nikon SLR lenses with adapter.

The ability to use adapted 35mm lenses with affordable adapters and full infinity focusing is one of the draws of these new mirrorless cameras; their small sensor size can make something cheap, like a 135mm f/2,8 Nikon into a big telephoto reach lens that weighs 11 ounces and costs $95 used...

This is a time of tremendous innovation and new cameras. Thom Hogan has a new site devoted exclusively to mirrorless cameras. We've got the Sony NEX with the biggest sensors, and then the micro 4/3 class, and then some even-smaller sensors, culminating finally in the teensie-tiny Pentax QT or whatever it's called....it's a new category they are calling "toy camera". Seriously.

http://www.sansmirror.com/

It depends on what you want.....if you still definitely want a DSLR the D3200 is a great option but I would also agree with tirediron that the new mirrorless cameras such as Sony NeX or the Nikon J1/V1 or similar models might be what you're looking for. I'd say go to the store and try out the options and see what you prefer. A good mirrorless will be about the same cost as a low-end DSLR w/ a decent lens. I haven't tried one myself but I"ve heard pros talking about them and a lot of them like them despite the small sensors.

Thank you for your input. I think the two most important qualities I'm looking for are image quality/color quality and speed. I really like our D300 (even though the flash is creating a shadow along the complete bottom or side of the image?), it just has so many functions we don't really use and is quite heavy for everyday use. Thanks again!

The shadow is from the lens hood or lens.

Look at pages 173 & 354 of the D300 user's manual

Most reactions

New Topics

Back