Recommendations for Light Bulbs?

AfternoonTea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple days ago my friend, and I were packing up my lighting kit. It composes of three light stands with two umbrellas. Well a little accident happened, and he accidentally knocked down a light stand with a light bulb on it. I laughed, as its no big deal (really as long as nobody got hurt). I am now missing one light bulb for my set-up. I usually shot outdoors with natural sun light around 7-10 o'clock A.M. (Perfect sky or Cloudy) and would rather use window light. So I'm not very good at knowing my light bulbs, and only used the ones that came with the lighting kit. I rocked a 5500K 45W photography light bulb, and I used to have three. Should I just buy another 5500K 45W or should I replace the entire kit with better/different type of light bulb? Is there better light bulbs out there in the sea? I don't use speed light because I also shot video. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks for reading![/FONT]

Incandescent lamps will experience a color temperature shift as they age, so if white balance is critical it's best to replace all three lamps. Even if you buy a lamp from the same manufacturer as the current lamps, manufacturing variables will most likely make it a different color temperature. And if you buy a different brand, all bets are off.

Granted I only used CF bulbs exclusively for a year before moving on to strobes but I did not notice any changes.

To be clear, the older incandescent photo bulbs lasted ~ six hours and did change color as they aged.

The new style CF bulbs are rated for 10,000 hrs and as I said, I have not noticed any change.

To be precise, these are the bulbs I was and still occasionally use - Compact Fluorescent Daylight Balanced Photo Light Bulbs from ALZO Digital

Cheers, Don

Well, a sampling of 1 does not constitute enough statistics to make a theory a law.

Well, a sampling of 1 does not constitute enough statistics to make a theory a law.

LOL

The OP can judge, actual experience vs folklore :)

Cheers, Don

Well, my experience is the color temps on ALL lamps change with age. Incandescent, fluorescent, mercury vapor, high-pressure sodium, metal halide, LED........

Thank you for the reply's! Well I usually don't like using lamps, so might as well just replace the one 45W 5500K. The other two bulbs have been used for max of two hours. I'll buy one of those Alzo Light bulbs; I'll take your word they seem promising.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back