Recommendations on B&W film

ckim32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good brand for B&W film. I've learned to process and develop B&W film but have no idea what's good. I've been using Fuji Neopan and wasn't sure if it was worth the extra couple of dollars to get the Ilford ones. Thanks!

Fuji, Kodak, Ilford, Agfa are all great. I don't believe any brand is superior - although certain specific films might be. Try different films and see what you like - it's not an SLR system, there's no need to 'switch brands'. In short, no, shooting Ilford film will not automatically produce better images than shooting Fuji.

I finally shot my first roll of Foma, nice results. Tri-x and Agfa are my other favorites. I still want to try Forte and Efke.

what types of subjects do you shoot? what type of film developer are you using?

there are significant differences between each type of film. shooting the same exact scene with fuji and ilford will yield different results when you compare the negatives.

it's difficult, even if you were to answer the questions i posted above, to recommend a film. the film that you shoot is part of your process. i happen to use ilford extensively because ilford fits my process of subject matter, metering habits, type of developer, and method of development.

I rent a darkroom that only carries t-max (and the only one I know how to use currently). I wanted to start shooting urban landscapes... and perhaps attempts some portraits. hmm.. method of development - meaning what type of canister i use to process film? i think it's the Paterson plastic manual tank. I'm quite a novice at all of so I appreciate any feedback!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back