Recommended Exposures by Ansel Adams

Hmm Richard said it 'may' look flat and unnatural, not it 'will' look flat and unnatural. Flat and unnatural doesn't mean ugly. It simply means flat and unnatural. If you believe flat and unnatural photos are ugly, that is your opinion, not fact.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

By the way, quit with the elitist title of 'I'm not a photographer." Do you make photographs? If so, that makes you a photographer. Go away troll. You're no longer amusing.

He was being conservative. It too may depend on other factors. In some extreme cases the compression may not be as noticeable as in others. I can almost always tell though.

Here is an example of a typical zs compressed photograph:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/images/cw-mn.jpg

I wish people would stop using the word troll for PP...he may be annoying to you, but he is clearly not being a troll...trolls spit out one-liner posts only meant to instigate a fight (everyone has done that from time-to-time). He is spitting out several paragraphs (or more) which may end up doing the same, but is not trolly. Just because someone's opinion is wholly different than yours (and vast majority of people) does not make them a troll.

So you offer no proof to prove that he is wrong and yet you expect us to believe you over a guy who has international respect and adoration for his works and teachings?

Yeah, the same people who think Meryl Streep is a great actress, James Cameron is a great film-maker, and George Winston a great pianist.

Basically, Adams appeals[FONT=&quot] to bourgeoisie [/FONT]sorts. Not to me.

Adams was a one-note hack.

I must say this thread is a lot of fun to read.

Hmm Richard said it 'may' look flat and unnatural, not it 'will' look flat and unnatural. Flat and unnatural doesn't mean ugly. It simply means flat and unnatural. If you believe flat and unnatural photos are ugly, that is your opinion, not fact.

By the way, quit with the elitist title of 'I'm not a photographer." Do you make photographs? If so, that makes you a photographer. Go away troll. You're no longer amusing.

He was being conservative. It too may depend on other factors. In some extreme cases the compression may not be as noticeable as in others. I can almost always tell though.

He was being conservative? You know this how? Are you a mind reader now? Since when did Richard become the authority on zs? Again, I care not about what the zs does to a photo. All I care about is the finished product. By the way, except for the horribly small resolution of that picture, I find it to be very serene and beautiful. That's my opinion. You're still not getting that.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You cannot categorize all zs images as ugly for everyone. When will you get that?

I await your next post trying to explain that zs makes photos ugly, without realizing it's just your opinion...

He was being conservative? You know this how? Are you a mind reader now? Since when did Richard become the authority on zs? Again, I care not about what the zs does to a photo. All I care about is the finished product. By the way, except for the horribly small resolution of that picture, I find it to be very serene and beautiful. That's my opinion. You're still not getting that.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You cannot categorize all zs images as ugly for everyone. When will you get that?

I await your next post trying to explain that zs makes photos ugly, without realizing it's just your opinion...

No, expansion and contraction makes them ugly. It's not just my opinion, it's the judgement of a whole bunch of people. Read the Kodak quote again until you get it and don't write a word until you do. Got it?

Also, bear in mind most of Adams' more famous photos were made before he got involved with the zone system.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back