Recommended Nikon film SLR?

curly

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Before I started using DSLRs, my interest in photography (outside of P&S cameras) started with some older film cameras that my father had (Minolta 35mm and Yashica MF).

I still have interest in film and would like to make some time for it if possible. I am wondering which camera would be recommended that I could still use my Nikon F-mount AF/AF-S lenses on?

I've seen the Nikon F5, but are there others that could be had for less that would be recommended?

I really like the F90x/N90s. The only caveat is if you are using "G" lenses (no aperture ring), you can only use P and S modes. The AF-S lenses will auto-focus on the F/N90 (and presumably newer) bodies, though I'm not sure about all auto focus bodies. Some don't support AF-S, such as the F801/N8008. I suspect bodies older than 1992 won't autofocus the AF-S lenses.

Last edited:
If you're planning on using Ai or Ai-s lenses, then I would suggest the F6 for the metering ability. If you are only going to use AF-D or AF-S lenses, then the F5 will suffice.

The Nikon F100 is a VERY nice, almost flagship-grade 35mm AF SLR. It is a sweet camera. Almost as capable as an F5, but not so doggone heavy and bulky. The Nikon N90s is nice. I have one. It has a good viewfinder, and is a comfortable, modern body for use with AF, A-D, AF-S, and G-series lenses (same at the F100). I recommend those two bodies because they are newer, and have great viewfinders, superb handling, and they work with the modern lenses. Those two models are readily available from KEH.com.

Nikon FM2 if youre looking for something small, light, and with out all the fancy electronics while still having a built in light meter. I will never let mine go.

I also use an F5 regularly which I love as well because its such a tank. Its my "im feeling lazy" 35mm camera.

F100 is less than the F5 but does most of what it does. If you don't need/want a grip, this is the way to go. If you're a grip kinda guy, might as well just get an F5 IMO. I have an F100 myself and it's a great camera.

Most reactions

Back