Recovering Lost Files From A Second Hard Drive

GoM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, so a few months ago I bought an external hard drive to use as a second HD to my main one. On it, I had my music, backups of my images, a bunch of game installs, etc. Luckily, I have my images backed up, but my music + etc took up too much space on my main C drive to include it on my external.

Anyway, the hard drive had a wonky connection and would sometimes shut itself up, but come back on with no problem with a bit of wiggling and then stay 'connected.' Until tonight, when it did the usual thing and I guess, as a matter of fate and the law of odds catching up with me, didn't re-connect as it normally does. As such, the drive's files are missing. In the My Computer screen + the yahoo widget I have that shows my drive's capacities and usage, it's still showing up with only 69% of it free, meaning that the files are still 'on' there; Windows just can't read that.

What can I do, if anything, to retreive the files?

Go to the local PC store and pick up external enclosure (no drive). Remove the drive from the old enclosure and insert it in the new one.

I'm also guessing you are using a desktop PC

If you are comfortable working with a computer you could take the second drive and simply install it into the computer.

The pc should pick it up automatically and you should be able to access your files as long as there is no corruption in the data

Most reactions

Back