Recreating a similar look with DSLR

daggertrepe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
​Since I was told to post it here:

Ok, so there is this shoot I'm basing my next one off of (I'm still a rookie yet), the the picture I'm basing it off of is this:

http://i.models.com/i/db/2010/8/27376/27376-800w.jpg

Credit: Boo George.

Obviously, I'm not going to be able to get that exact effect with the equipment I have, compared to a professional. I have a Nikon D5100 and an 85mm lens. My question is, with these tools (and any others you think might be helpful, including light source, etc), how can I achieve a similar look?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What you will be told very soon is to replace the images with links to them, since they are not yours.
Camera and lens are ok, you will need adequate lighting (I'm too much beginner for a concrete answer, but looking at the first picture, for me you need at least 3 sources - two in front, low, symmetric, and one behind, on the right). Unless you mean just the rough, contrasty, sharp aspect of these pictures, which maybe you can simulate with some LightRoom action.

Shadows, or a lack of shadows, shows where the lighting is.

The essense of photography is recording the light. The #1 task for the photographer is to manage the light.

That photograph looks like a ring flash may have been used, (plus other lighting), although there isn't the tell-tale reflection in the model's eyes.

However I would think that a lot of the look of the photo has been created in post.

I already posted in the previous thread. Thanks for reading it.

I think it's been mentioned before. A good way of achieving the effect is to shoot on an overcast day and expose for the blacks.

View attachment 6048

I did a shoot a few weeks ago based on a similar style to the images you posted. I shot on an overcast day, exposing for the blacks, and did a simple black and white conversion in Lightroom 3. I increased the contrast quite a lot, increased black levels and added a bit of fill light.

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for but I think it's getting there, and at least I'm speaking from experience. Oh, and equipment is no excuse! I shot this on a Canon 60D with a 24-105 f/4L but I'd have been just as happy on a 550D with kit lens! You could have a look at Kalle Gustafsson, he has a really film (as in 35mm, 120 etc) as well as cinematic look to his work but he shoot on digital (5DII).

Mainza:

That has almost definitely been shot on film. It's a double exposure meaning the same frame has been exposed twice. It's a style popular with lomo photographers.

View attachment 6050

Sorry for posting another picture, I hope it shows people I know what I'm talking about some of the time! This should be a good example; you can see the film and you can see how its got two images overlapping on the same section. It can be totally separate images, the film just slipped on this one.

Oh, and for the film people. Yes, it's cheap film but I was hardly going to waste good film in a Smena! Saying that, I have used 'pro film' in a Lubitel!

Even if it didn't help, you could've told us.

I don't think it's a ring light.... no catchlight in the eyes, looks more like a large reflector. The light appears to be coming from behind. Just look at his suit.

I don't think it's a ring light.... no catchlight in the eyes, looks more like a large reflector. The light appears to be coming from behind. Just look at his suit.

in fact the two sources I imagined in front could be a very large reflector... there are symmetric shadows over the nose, lips, front, etc.

I can't view the link at work(blocked) so I can't give my guess at it. But I would like to add catch lights can easily be removed from the eyes.

I already posted in the previous thread. Thanks for reading it.

I think it's been mentioned before. A good way of achieving the effect is to shoot on an overcast day and expose for the blacks.

View attachment 6048

I did a shoot a few weeks ago based on a similar style to the images you posted. I shot on an overcast day, exposing for the blacks, and did a simple black and white conversion in Lightroom 3. I increased the contrast quite a lot, increased black levels and added a bit of fill light.

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for but I think it's getting there, and at least I'm speaking from experience. Oh, and equipment is no excuse! I shot this on a Canon 60D with a 24-105 f/4L but I'd have been just as happy on a 550D with kit lens! You could have a look at Kalle Gustafsson, he has a really film (as in 35mm, 120 etc) as well as cinematic look to his work but he shoot on digital (5DII).

Mainza:

That has almost definitely been shot on film. It's a double exposure meaning the same frame has been exposed twice. It's a style popular with lomo photographers.

View attachment 6050

Sorry for posting another picture, I hope it shows people I know what I'm talking about some of the time! This should be a good example; you can see the film and you can see how its got two images overlapping on the same section. It can be totally separate images, the film just slipped on this one.

Oh, and for the film people. Yes, it's cheap film but I was hardly going to waste good film in a Smena! Saying that, I have used 'pro film' in a Lubitel!

Even if it didn't help, you could've told us.

I just logged on since I made this thread, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet!!

Thanks everyone :)

​Since I was told to post it here:

Ok, so there is this shoot I'm basing my next one off of (I'm still a rookie yet), the the picture I'm basing it off of is this:

http://i.models.com/i/db/2010/8/27376/27376-800w.jpg

Credit: Boo George.

Obviously, I'm not going to be able to get that exact effect with the equipment I have, compared to a professional. I have a Nikon D5100 and an 85mm lens. My question is, with these tools (and any others you think might be helpful, including light source, etc), how can I achieve a similar look?

Thanks!

Its a slighty over exposed shallow depth of field picture of a chick in a black suit. This is not really that difficult and you do not need the most top of the line gear to do it either. Head and shoulders pose, aperture around f2 or larger, maybe a reflector for some fill on the face and heavy contrast.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back