Recs for digi w/"no" shutter lag, large optical zoom....

gonewiththewindow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been steered toward the D50...but there are only 3 settings for image size. That means every time I want to share a photo I have to resize online. (settings are all huge)

Here's how I'll be using the camera: Vacation landscapes; pets; parties. Equal indoor/outdoor use. Will be emailing pix a lot. Currently using a Sony Mavica that's about 5 years old.

Anybody feel like giving me their opinion? I have about $600 to spend.

I agree with Crawdaddio... You can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon entry level DSLRs. Resizing the image in PS (or equivalent) is easy.

DepthAfield said:
Resizing the image in PS (or equivalent) is easy.

You don't even need Photoshop or any other licensed software, In windows Microsoft Paint can resize and if you have Microsoft Office you may have MS Photoeditor. Both programs are basic but can resize easily. Photoeditor can adjust basic contrast, colour levels etc.

PS is definitely the best though.

But remember - if you resize - save as a different file name or in a different location or you'll lose your hi-res original. Might be stating the office but the amnount of people who don't realise that is amazing......well it is in my office anyway!!! :)

gonewiththewindow said:
I've been steered toward the D50...but there are only 3 settings for image size. That means every time I want to share a photo I have to resize online. (settings are all huge)

Here's how I'll be using the camera: Vacation landscapes; pets; parties. Equal indoor/outdoor use. Will be emailing pix a lot. Currently using a Sony Mavica that's about 5 years old.

Anybody feel like giving me their opinion? I have about $600 to spend.

You don't want to shoot pictures at web size - you'd never be able to print them out properly - too small, and 72dpi (bad for printing). As others have said, D50 would be a solid choice, and a world better than an older Mavica.

There is a bunch of software out there for editing and resizing images. Google's Picassa can do batch resizing, colour tweaking etc. and it's free. I use Photoshop, as do most people here I would guestimate. Some people use Gimp, but I personally hate it. The advantage of Picassa and the Gimp are that they are free. PS is very expensive, but worth it if you are going to be doing a lot of tweaking.

Rob

I'm not quite yet to the stage of having lots of time to tweak stuff. I'm a single parent w/2 jobs and not a whole lot of leisure / alone time...just wanted the option of shooting emailable file sizes to family. I already do the image resize thing using Irfanview when my brother sends pics of his kids....they are always gigantic. It's just time consuming & a hassle to do when I am tired...which is about every day! :lol:

The D50 or digital rebel would be a good choice. As for shooting in small jpg I wouldn’t you’ll find that you get a classic shot and wished you had the larger file to make prints from. What ever camera you choose I would shoot the best quality and size you can and resize later.

There is a ton of software that will let you edit photos in bulk just tell it to resize to smaller jpg point it to the folder and click ok and walk away.

Photoshop does.

Doesn't the software the camera comes with do this as well???

Thanks to all of you, I bought the D50 the day before my trip to the East Coast with 170 8th graders! OMG that is another story, but the camera behaved really well.

I shot everything on auto, sometimes overriding the flash..haven't had a chance to even look at the pix online as we just got back in last night and we are exhausted. But wanted to drop in and say thanks.

:lovey:

gonewiththewindow said:
Thanks to all of you, I bought the D50 the day before my trip to the East Coast with 170 8th graders! OMG that is another story, but the camera behaved really well.

I shot everything on auto, sometimes overriding the flash..haven't had a chance to even look at the pix online as we just got back in last night and we are exhausted. But wanted to drop in and say thanks.

:lovey:

Yay, I'm sure they came out fine! When you catch a moment, you'll have to post some for us to see!

Rob

Most reactions

Back