Rectangular GND and ND Systems

tyler_h

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tend to shoot landscapes so I'm looking at investing in a filter system for GNDs and as funding allows NDs as well.

Currently looking to use it with 550D and kit lens (@ 18mm most of the time) but want to be able to continue using it with a future setup of something along the lines of 5D Mk II + EF 16-35mm f/2.8L or TS-E 24mm f/3.5L. That dictates a wide angle version to minimise vignetting I believe.

Curious if anyone has cross-brand experience. From what I have read Cokin makes decent 'enthusiast' quality filters, but I have heard bad things about colour cast (which would be ok for NDs but not so much for GNDs). Lee I have heard are meant to be good and easier to use, but of course come at a premium price. I am open to and brand suggestions or a mismatch of a couple.

The next trouble I run across is availability in Australia. I haven't come across many site (or stores) that stock decent ranges of rectangular filters so any suggestions here are appreciated too.

Thanks for reading and cheers for any information you can provide. If there is anything I haven't made clear just let me know and I'll try and explain better.

I didn't buy cokin filters but I Duff get the p holder. I kind of regret getting that size. Its a little small if you ever have to hand hold.

I also buy sing-Ray and hitech brand filters. Hitech sends to be good for the money.

Lee filters, probably some of the best but expensive.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I do a lot of landscape as well and I use the cokin filters and havent had any problems with color cast. I use both their ND and GND. Best bang for my buck and this hobby is too bloody expensive to start chipping 150 a filter.

The cokinZ is larger and will be more expensive than the cokin P series of filters

I actually use the P series since I do not have any lenses as yet lower than 18 mm and I haven't had any problems with vignetting. It was all that was available at the store when I went to purchase the holder and indivivual filters. To my understanding the z series is better suited for medium format and the ultra wide lenses but have no experience with it.

The cokinZ is larger and will be more expensive than the cokin P series of filters

I was under the impression that I would run into vignetting issues with the P series size. Not with my current set up, but with wider options. I don't mind paying more is the difference is notable, and I tend to take good care of my stuff so expect to get a long life out of whatever I end up with.

Cokin ND and G-ND filters can indeed impart a red/purple colour cast to an image, especially when shooting into or close to the sun. This is easily controlled, and in fact can be eliminated in all but the most extreme cases by shading the filter. I keep an 8x10 piece of matte-black craft foam (<$1.00 @ Wal-mart / Michael's) in my bag and use it to form a 'DIY' lens hood when shooting with Cokin filters.

Cokin ND and G-ND filters can indeed impart a red/purple colour cast to an image, especially when shooting into or close to the sun. This is easily controlled, and in fact can be eliminated in all but the most extreme cases by shading the filter. I keep an 8x10 piece of matte-black craft foam (<$1.00 @ Wal-mart / Michael's) in my bag and use it to form a 'DIY' lens hood when shooting with Cokin filters.

Yeah, this is the colour cast I had heard of. I came across a shot of a filter laid on white paper a while ago (can't remember source) with eyedropper/colour selection tool thing showing it had a definite, although not excessively strong, cast.

The DIY hood is a nice cheap solution if effective then (although from what I saw as mentioned above, there is always some cast) to reduce the problem.
Cheers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back