neogfx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A Red Admiral Butterfly.
Comments welcome.

RedAdmiralButterfly.jpg

A nice moment captured for sure, but it is overexposed, and not in sharp focus. I would prefer to see more of a side view as well, so I can see more of the butterfly's shape. What lens did you use for this?

Standard Canon USM 18-55mm

It's possible that you were too close to focus. I don't know what the minimum focus distance is for that lens. It really seems as the though the focal point is just a hair past the front of the butterfly. It could also be camera shake. You did shoot this at 1/25, which is very dangerous at 55mm. Next time I would meter carefully, making sure to expose to the right, yet not overexpose, and use a tripod to gurantee that camera shake is not an issue. A true macro lens is great for butterfly photography. The Canon 100mm or 180mm macros are excellent choices.

Yeah I'm looking at macro lenses at the moment, but unfortunately I'm a hard-up student :(

Neogfx, that's a great shot.

And Digital Matt,
I would like to know the best available macro lens for Nikon D50 and the cheapest too remember.

Ravi

Ravi, I don't shoot Nikon. Keep in mind, with photography, the words "best" and "cheap" often don't mingle. If you want great performance from a lens, you are usually looking into the $800 - $1000+ range. I don't know what types of subjects you are looking to shoot in macro, but the cheapest and best solution is a 50mm prime and a set of 3 extension tubes. It's not good for photographing anything in motion however. Focussing is very tricky, and depth of field is very very shallow, not to mention you lose infinity focus. It's a great budget option however, and can produce stunning results if used correctly.

Most reactions

Back