Red Dance - C&C Appreciated

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A shot from my daughter's recital. (granted, that isn't my daughter... :lol:)

dancingred.jpg

Wow i like this one a lot. Only thing that seems off is it looks like she might be out of focus. Maybe not. But i like the shot, good job

I like the idea but just the quality of the shot is really crappy (atleast on my screen). It looks really noisey and the floor looks "digitized".

Thanks, Ian!

I like the idea but just the quality of the shot is really crappy (atleast on my screen). It looks really noisey and the floor looks "digitized".

hehe, I was waiting for the noise comment, but I didn't expect CRAPPY. :lmao: (s'okay, it's cool... I just laughed when I read it)

There is a fair bit of noise... it was like ISO 2000 or 2500 and so dark and at such a focal length that I couldn't possibly hope to over-expose it to compensate. D300 noise reduction or no, there was pretty much no way to avoid the noise in this one.

I personally still quite like the shot.

Thanks for the comment!

i like the idea but the quality of the image seems less than desiralbe (noisy, digitized, not tack sharp)

Its cool though cuz you like it, so thats all that really matters

i like the idea but the quality of the image seems less than desiralbe (noisy, digitized, not tack sharp)

Its cool though cuz you like it, so thats all that really matters

Yeah, I do, though I would absolutely like it more if it was less noisy, etc. Any suggestions on how I could have addressed that? I'd like to think there was *some* way, but I was at a loss.

The conditions were:
- lights-out auditorium
- illuminated (but not bright) background
- moving dancers

I tried NeatImage on it and it cleaned up no end - well worth doing for these low light shots - well done

I tried NeatImage on it and it cleaned up no end - well worth doing for these low light shots - well done

Well, I had never heard of that particular tool, so I went and looked it up. You sure weren't kidding. See below:

dancingred2.jpg

I think maybe I'll be buying that application, thank-you-very-much. Wow.

Ancient, thank you VERY much for that tip.

Did you manage to do better than I did above? Appears to be a bit of a learning curve on it.

Glad to be of some small help - your image is better than mine, but then yours was full size.
It doesnt take long to tune NI to your own camera and then I just push buttons. There are people who use it and twiddle the settings, but I have not found that necessary.
If I've 'sold' you that - then try FocusMagic, you'll see from my web site that I use both in my work flow.
All the best and enjoy PP

Actually, I kind of like the way everything is seriously pixellated except her; sort of an analog dancer in a digital world effect.

Glad to be of some small help - your image is better than mine, but then yours was full size.
It doesnt take long to tune NI to your own camera and then I just push buttons. There are people who use it and twiddle the settings, but I have not found that necessary.
If I've 'sold' you that - then try FocusMagic, you'll see from my web site that I use both in my work flow.
All the best and enjoy PP

I'll definitely check it out. Are you on their sales team? ;)

KD5... thanks for your comments.

Honestly, I'm on the fence. I like both images for different reasons. I do think the "cleaner" one is better technically (esp. if I could have gotten the shot that way to begin with), but the more pixelated one is still kinda cool.

Funny.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and information.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back