"Red. Red is good. Fire engines are red. Porsche's are red."

wamason

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An old fire hydrant located on an abandoned facility that used to be West TX State School, located approx. 3 hours east of El Paso, TX, , on Interstate 20, near a little town called Pyote. The facility sits on what used to be part of "Rattlesnake" Bomber Base. During WW2, it was the largest bomber training base in the US, housing over 6500 people. Now it's pasture land, except for the abandoned state school that sits on the edge of the base land, and what's left of the runways, tarmac, and the shell of an old hangar.

Taken with a Nikon D3300, attached to a Nikon 55-300mm lens.
Ap: f/5.6
Exp: 1/500
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 280mm

Critiques are welcome.
hydrant.jpg

It is in fact red. I'd like to see more of what's around it than dead grass though, to be more interesting.
Nice find.

I do like this, particularly the angle from which it was shot - I'm wondering if maybe a slightly wider angle might be in order here, give the viewer more of the feel that this hydrant really is in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the responses! The hydrant is actually surrounded by tan brick buildings (dorms) that were part of the old state school. I thought that including them might take away from the hydrant itself, what do you think?

Thanks for the responses! The hydrant is actually surrounded by tan brick buildings (dorms) that were part of the old state school. I thought that including them might take away from the hydrant itself, which do you think?

Maybe just a step or two back, just a bit more of the field underneath the hydrant to show no curb, etc.. but all in all a very cool shot. Not often I look at a fire hydrant and go, hey, that's interesting.. so two big thumbs up right there..

I like the hydrant, but as stated, I think a bit more foreground would benefit the photo even more. Nice shots!

Most reactions

Back