Red Squirrel

polymoog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.polymoog.se
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not an official exhibit at San Diego Zoo ;) But I have never got this close to one before ... C&C welcome ...

zoo004.jpg

Very cute (and you're lucky)!

The squirrel blends in a little with the branches (I suppose that's the idea, but photowise it's a bit unfortunate). You might try dodging a little on the squirrel, to make it show up a bit more. Alternately, a light vignette may put the focus on him.

:D i like it, makes me happy

Very cute (and you're lucky)!

The squirrel blends in a little with the branches (I suppose that's the idea, but photowise it's a bit unfortunate). You might try dodging a little on the squirrel, to make it show up a bit more. Alternately, a light vignette may put the focus on him.

Yes you're right, I maybe should have cropped a bit off the bottom. What do you mean by dodging, and vignetting? Sorry, absence of photography knowledge
icon_redface.gif

Sorry, my terminology was overboard there. Here's what I meant:

Dodging (and its complementary idea, Burning) are photo modifications where you lighten or darken a specific part of a photo, to emphasize or de-emphasize it. Photoshop, Gimp, and most other decent photo editors have dodge and burn tools. You select the tool, select how much to lighten or darken, and paint over the part you want to change. (Here's a random example: dancing tree, in which I dodged the central tree to make it stand out more, instead of getting lost in the background). However, if you're new to postprocessing, perhaps you shouldn't start with these tools just yet!

Second, "vignette" is the name for that slight darkening that you get around the edges of photos sometimes. It appears when the edge of the lens starts to encroach on the photo (for example, if you're shooting at an ultrawide angle, or if you have too many filters on your lens). It's often used intentionally to give your photo a "vintage" appearance, and also to focus attention on the center of the photo. There are a lot of tutorials online about how do to this in Photoshop and Gimp -- google will be your friend.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info :D

Vignetting - I get that on my 17-70 if at widest angle, so now at least I know the name for it ;-) I usually try to crop that out to be honest, but I can see what you mean about using it as a means of focusing.

Dodge and burn are not tools I've used before, I do use Photoshop but don't know all of the controls, so I'll have a go with them sometime. BTW I like your wavy tree example :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back