weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some red squirrels at Loch of the Lowes. Not perfect situation by any means as they were all shot through thick double glazing which was backlit and the forest was alredy quite dim. One shot was at 400mm, the others at 600mm and all handheld. These ones seemed quite happy to pose and I don't think I could've gotten this close to them outside.

Red Squirrel 2 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Red Squirrel 3 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Red Squirrel 4 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Great shots weepete! I love the styling of this Scottish Red Squirrel. Very beautiful species. I like how in the first image he is holding his tail along his back.

Thanks Flying Panda!

Yes, they are incredably cute species that can be hard too see in the proper wild. Thankfully the RSPB reserves can be havens for them and we saw 6 of them dashing about stealing nuts out if the feeders. They are small and very skittish, pretty much been replaced by grey squirrels in the central belt which are brazen in comparison. These ones dashed in, ate a few nuts and quickly disappered, coming back moments later. We had a good half hour watching them which was a treat though trying to get a shot of them off the feeders was an excercise in luck.

Still, I allways love to see these wee beasties out and about.

Looking at them on my phone I do think the second and third shots above could do with a little more contrast in the mid tones. I struggled with the PP on these, being a bit out of practise and my tendancy to be a bit heavy handed. I did have to de-saturate the geen channel in the first as it was a bit too much SOOC. I was dying for the one in the second shot to move their head into the light, but something to go back for I think!

I don't know why, but when I looked at the first shot, I immediately thought of how awesome he would look with bagpipes! They really are cool looking, I am so used to our grey ground squirrels that these are always a treat to see. :encouragement:

Most reactions

Back