Redscale film-what to shoot?

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone. I bought a lot of 120 film that included some Lomo (I know, but there was Portra in there and it was a good deal) redscale film. I'm familiar with how this film works, but I'm not really familiar with what to shoot with it. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, if you've got some samples, feel free to post them up regardless of format. Throwing it in my 1600f, so 6x6 if that helps. Thanks guys.

I usually overexpose it by at least a stop. It can take a lot - seems to be pretty much impossible to overexpose. The more exposure you give it, the more yellow it gets.

I just shoot the same stuff I usually shoot with it, but I do think it looks better outside in the sun.

These are all 35mm:

Kodak Gold 400 @100:

Lomo Redscale 100 @100:

Lomo Redscale 100 @50:

Rollei Redbird 400 @250:

Rollei Redbird 400 @100:

The headstock shot is AWESOME. I might be stealing that idea with my ESP. The second one looks like the 1970s in a nutshell. Half expecting to see a Pinto or a Nova on the street. Cool effect. Appreciate the advice too-that's gonna come in handy.

The headstock shot is AWESOME.
It's actually a multiple exposure - the bridge is in there too.

Here's a couple more guitar shots:

Can't decide which angle I like more:

(Ha - that's when I was leaving the edges of the frame in my scans...)

These were all Fuji Pro 160S, probably @80. I've found Fuji films to come out MUCH more red. The film base is more red than most other color film, so I think that's why.

I saw a picture in a Flickr group one time where someone bracketed a whole roll of 400 ISO (I think) redscaled film down to like 6 ISO I think. Even with that much exposure, it wasn't blown out.

I agree - Josh, those guitar shots are fantastic and look great in the redscale. I also like the one of your son (?) by the pool. The redscale is good for giving a nice vintage nostalgia to a scene.

I agree - redscale is very forgiving in the sense that under or over just gives you a different shade and thus a different mood. It doesn't really read as "under" or "over" exposed - just "reddish" vs "yellowish."

If I may post my favorites as well?
(All Lomo film. First taken with Konstruktor, the other three with the Zorki)

Day 230 - Redscale lamp by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Day 36 - leaves and bridge by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Day 36 - Redscale river by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Day 36 - Redscale Tech by limrodrigues, on Flickr

The leaves and bridge shot is just incredible. And of course you're welcome to post them! I asked for them, ya goof! I can't wait to get this stuff and see what I can do with it. This looks to be right up my alley.

Josh: I thought I saw that, but thought it might be a pick holder mounted up there. I like what you did with the silhouettes too-I might have to try something different with my guitar, though the ESP pointy headstock isn't as iconic as a Fender.

The first one in my second post, I have a 16x20 metal print of (from AdoramaPix) - it looks pretty damn good.

You can also "convert" any color film to redscale (much cheaper than buying redscale film). It's pretty easy to do in 35mm. I have heard of it being done with 120, but I've never tried it. I've always been afraid that I wouldn't be able to get the film taped back onto the paper in the right place and in line with the paper, lol.

That montage is awesome! I guess I've found something I can't screw up too badly. :D And yeah, normally I'd consider doing my own, but this is thrown in with a ton of Portra and the like, so why the hell not, you know? Besides, if I hate it, it's not like it really cost me anything-even without it, I got 7 other rolls for $18. Can't go wrong.

Loaded up and ready to shoot. Yeah boyee! Here goes nothing... Testing out the film and my GE light meter (tested before with my Canon just to check it out).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back