Reflected Half Dome with Fall Colors

HikinMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.imagesinthebackcountry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since I have never shot Half Dome by the river, I needed to find out where to go. I decided to scope it out early, and then come back when the conditions were better. I liked how the sun was lighting up the fall colors. I chose to compose just the reflection of Half Dome mainly because the lighting on Half Dome was pretty harsh

yosemite-112814-31.jpg

5D, 50mm, ISO 50, f/11, 1/6 & 1/50 sec blended.

It's good, but why did you clip the top of those trees off!??

Jake

What Jake said! I think if you'd moved the point of aim just a bit, you could have captured the tops of those trees and the full reflection.

I think it's kind of cool surprise to see just the reflection of it, I don't think you expect to see that. If anything I might think about cropping just a slight bit of the top edge to keep it from looking too cut off, so maybe the viewer will see the trees and not that slight bit of sky, that seems to make it more noticeable that something isn't there (judgement call I suppose). Interesting idea for a photo.

And you know, it'll still be there, he can go back... lol

Love it. As others have said, I would like to see more at the top.

I really should have (and can still do) crop more off the top to remove the small patch of blue. The focus was on the fall trees, and I didn't crop those. I cropped the top of Half Dome too...

Thanks for the comments. :)

Most reactions

Back