Reflection

Cody'sCaptures

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've finally had a little time between jobs and got some fun editing done. This was captured a few months ago a forest preserve in Chicago. There is normally a trail that runs though this part but at this time the Des Plaines river was completely flooded. It was to the point that one of the main roads on the west side (ironically called River Rd) was shut down with over a foot of standing water. C&C is welcomed and appreciated

Forestpreserve2x3 (1 of 1).jpg
!

Last edited:
a couple things were bothering me.. now please let me know where i can improve still

_DSC9030-Edit.jpg

The reflections are okay, but the thing that bothers me about them is that generally the image shows the things being reflected as well as their reflection. For example, while I can see the reflections of the tree branches in the reflections in the water, I cannot see the "branches" that are being reflected in the image. I do hope I am making myself clear. For example, see the first few images in this web article - Photographing Reflections: Tips and Techniques | OPG , particularly the landscape examples. Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Okay thanks for the reply, Now that you pointed out the asymmetry it cannot be unseen. I realize this isn't the greatest example but with the leaves on top and the tighter crop does it feel too distracting? Is it too odd to have the reflections drawing you into the forest then abruptly pulling you back out with the oof leaves on top?
Just in general, do you think that you can still include some of the foreground elements that would not be reflected
at all? Or is that too distracting from the subject?

_DSC9030-Edit.jpg

I like the Edit. The original had a too bright foreground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The second one is definitely an improvement in my opinion. Overall, I still think that the image is a bit cluttered. You have the large branch at the top which doesn't figure into the reflection at all (not sure that is necessarily a problem, just not my choice) and it has a bunch of out of focus leaves hanging down into the image that are distracting as you have suggested. As well, there is that "thing" (tree trunk?) sticking into the image on the lower right that really doesn't add anything except another distraction, to the image. I can understand what you are trying to do, but maybe this isn't the best place to be trying to do it - again, my opinion. I don't know if there is another spot that would give you a better perspective or not - your judgement.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

Back