Reflector, diffuser, both?

RauschPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there!

Right now I'm in a situation where I can't do much indoor shoots (living in an apartment makes that rather difficult), so I'm trying to maximize the quality of my outdoor shoots. I'm looking to buy some gear for these, and I'm hoping to buy both a reflector and diffuser. Are both of these necessary? What should I look for in both of these? (I'm looking at both circular collapsibles) Thanks!

I have heard raves about the Trigrip lastolite ones. I only have a circular one but am interested in getting these. They look easier to hold mount on a stand. Definetly more expensive though. I think diffusers are nice if you need to cut some harsh sunlight and use the reflector at same time to throw some back on a portrait from below. A clamshell technique was actually shown here I think a bit ago.

I have heard raves about the Trigrip lastolite ones. I only have a circular one but am interested in getting these. They look easier to hold mount on a stand. Definetly more expensive though. I think diffusers are nice if you need to cut some harsh sunlight and use the reflector at same time to throw some back on a portrait from below. A clamshell technique was actually shown here I think a bit ago.

you talk about clamshell.

i went to a local camera shop this weekend and they had a really nice reflector kit on display.

1 rack/stand with 3 reflector hooked to it. perfect for headshot or 3/4 body shot

you talk about clamshell.

i went to a local camera shop this weekend and they had a really nice reflector kit on display.

1 rack/stand with 3 reflector hooked to it. perfect for headshot or 3/4 body shot

Lastolite Triflector Mark II Sunfire/Silver Panels and Stand Kit Lighting Reflectors 2933SP - Vistek Canada Product Detail

there you go!

Circular reflectors and diffusers are a PITA outdoors...outdoors, you want rectangular or square panels...circular means PITA in terms of holding/positioning/turf spikes,weighting,clamping....just a PITA all-around. A rectangular or square reflector offers more area per-size and it is easier to turf spike, prop up, or clamp into position. Two rectangular or square panels can be clipped together and made into a free-standing "V-panel" or "A-profile" reflector....two round panels can be,well, barely clipped together and create a giant,oversized mess.

The tri-grips look like they would be easy to hold, which can be a plus...but their size & shape make me think that they would only be good for head shots, or head & torso shots at best.
At closer inspection, they do have large reflectors, which would be better, but you still get more area from a rectangular shape.

Some of my favorite light, is using these as diffusion panels, which is why I recommend those 5-in-1 deals. The reflectors are a zip on cover, and once you take that off, you are left with the diffusion panel, which can be help up between the light source and your subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back