Reflector hack - new to me.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a friend over for Christmas lunch and had him bring his D4 and D610 so we could do some tests (and so I could get some new social media photos). So note, the image is of me, not by me, and is posted with permission.

I woke up that morning thinking about how I wanted to light the photos for the test. I went with the streaklight 360 and a 38" octobox and a 5-in-1 reflector (white side) on a holder in a clam shell lighting set-up. I aimed the light down further than I have ever done before and then I mounted the reflector beneath the holder and squeezed it together so that it was curved.

Here is the result of the lighting. (Oh btw, the D4 and D610 with a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 is really nice)

38420026165_3faf931373_b.jpg

Last edited:
nice clean, flattering, light setup with dimension. I'd crop in a bit...

Thanks @Braineack. I'll look at the cropping, if I recall, I think I did a very minor crop on all of these. (Which is different than I usually do cropping to 8x10)

This is the sort of light that any portrait photographer ahold be able to produce. Simple, flattering and effective. My only minor niggle is that I'd like to see the camera angle a bit higher.

Thanks John, I can see your point on the camera angle. I'll have to get things back out and set up and try it again solo this time.

Then I will take a photo of the lighting set up for reference.

Okay, as promised @tirediron. Here is the lighting set up and one of the examples from it. The light is the streaklight 360 at 1/8th power. 85mm f/1.8 on my 7D mk II set at 1/250, f/9.0, ISO160. The image was WB and basic edits and cropped to 8x10.

LightingTest-7.jpg LightingTest-25.jpg

Nice! I like the second version much better as far as the crop and camera angle.

Thanks Destin. Yeah, he doesn't have an 85mm. That Canon 85mm f/1.8 is a killer headshot lens. And is so sharp.

Most reactions

Back