reflector mirror issue

Cdeep04

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Could a damaged or bad reflector mirror from my lens cause my immage or pic to look over exposed in parts, such as when the in the picture the sky lit area is over exposed as comparied to the rest of the picture.

I took my pictures to a couple of guro photographers around town and that was one idea they came up with.

This only happens with this particular lens of mine.

So I thougth I might ask you guys and see what you thought.

Its a Cannon nFTB and is a Sigma zoom Lens 39-80mm. All older stuff.

Could a damaged or bad reflector mirror from my lens
The lens does not have a mirror in it. I would figure that if you are having trouble with only that lens, then it's a problem with the apeture not stopping down correctly. It may be letting light through or its stuck or slow in closing down.

I agree, check to see if the aperture is stuck, sticky or has oil on the blades of that lens. Good Luck.

I didnt think it had a mirror, but who am I to really know.

Anyway if I can get it to work here are some examples of what Im talking about......alright so i dont get how to load images. I read how to do it on your site. I have a host at flickr.com but not sure how to enter it into this site. I think some of my problem is that I am using a Mac not a PC.

Utah!!!!!!!!!! I love that state!!!! The mirror just lets you view the scene through the shooting lens right side up. Then flips during the exposure. The shots are contrasty. One thought is that the film could not handle the exposure latitude. Meaning that there was too big of a difference between the shadow and highlights. Maybe try a proper test. Or at least shoot in flatter light and see how things go. Of course viewing photos over the net has a lot of variables. I would stick with viewing the print during said tests.

That just looks like a combination of poor exposure and lens flare to me. Well, not necesarily poor exposure, but it looks like you were exposing the scene for the main subject of the photos, and as a result the very bright sky inevitably became overexposed. There also might be some lens flare involved, making the area around the bright sky wash out a bit too. Apart from that, I don't really think there's much wrong with the photos. It's not very uncommon for a photo to have some parts in it that are overexposed, due to the need to expose for a darker object in the scene. This especially happens when there's a dark subject and a bright sky in the shot.

Well i have other shots where I tried a lesser exposure time. Same thing happened but the subject got darker (of course) and i lost all the detail. I have a light meeter seperate from my camer cuz my batterie doesnt work and i havent made time to find a replacement yet. I thought it would be lens flair too but I seemed to happen in shots away or tword the sun. When I shoot on a flatter plain the same thing happens. THe brighter is too bright. Maybe im just being too picky. Thanks for the comment on Utah. I tend to like it too. =) All these shots are taken from up on USU Campus. But to tell you the truth my heart goes out to Western Washington, which is orginally where I am from.

Thanks for all the sugestions so far. I would love to here more if any one has any.

Maybe Ill just through away this lens and stick to my other. Its just a lens I found at Good Will for 15 dollars.

Lenses vary greatly. Generally I have not found them to be the problem when exposure is concerned. Could be the way that you meter the scene. Hand helds' are great, but they may take a little practice (It has been a while since I used one). Understand what the meter is reading. The shadow and highlights should be read separately and then averaged by you. Film choice is also a major consideration. 50 ISO transparency film is super contrasty where the exposure needs to be within 1/3 of a stop perfect. 400 ISO neg could be within the 2-3 stop range.

Try a few things, such as:

1-check if the lens is dirty on the rear elements, if so clean gently with recommended fluids.

2-take a picture of something like the one you took (with sky in it) and then rotate the camera 180 degrees along its lens axis (upside-down) and take the same picture.

If there are changes (in the test #2) then most likely you might have a seal problem around the door of the camera. Being that Utah is quite dry, the foam sealing the back and the door become very brittle and eventually decomposes, allowing light to seep into the camera. These are very easy to fix.

Cool, that make sence.

I do know that I as using Kodac and Fuji Fill 200 speed. With a speed of 125 and 60 with exposure between 1.3 and just over 5.6.

We also did a run of 400 speed fill In a black box ( theatre turm) with the shutter as open as posible and speed at ohhh dont remember pretty slow but not slow enough that you need to put it on a try pod. We thought we would push it. Ill have to get those up so you can take a look at them.

Mitica 100

I did try flipping in horizontal and vertical. The exposure was not consitanly in the same part of the frame. The only consitancey was where the sky was. At first I thought It might have been that problem as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back