Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I want to start experimenting with lighting and such. How can I make homemade reflectors? Would a big peice of white posterboard work? Or would I need a more reflective surface than that? Any hints you have would be great!

You're only limited by your imagination! You can use sheets of styrofoam, those silver space blankets work good and are very portable, mirrors, sheets stretched over frames made from abs pipe, etc, etc.

Remember, the color of the reflector will influence the color of the light on your subject.... a gold reflector will cast a gold light... a white reflector will cast a white light...and so on....

reflectors are a great way to add fill light to a subject - and they're reasonably inexpensive tools.

Karalee said:
I use one of those things you put in the winshield of your car to block the sun from gettin in. Works like a charm.
Can't beat $5 at walmart.

Also keep your eyes peeled for those windshield reflectors that have gold on one side... it's a good warming reflector.

Try experimenting where your window light is the main light and the shadows filled in with the reflector... and try some where the reflected light is your main source with the window light being highlights.

core_17 said:
How can I make homemade reflectors? Would a big peice of white posterboard work? Or would I need a more reflective surface than that? Any hints you have would be great!

It would work great. I like foam core, which is pretty much the same, except stiffer/sturdier. I clamp sections together using small pinch clamps from the hardware store. If you need a more reflective surface, cover it with aluminum foil.

I put togheter (with a tape) those silver blankets from chocolates... they are perfect

Great ideas! Thanks! Gonna have to try some of these suggestions. Hope my boyfriend doesn't mind being my practice subject...again! Heh heh.

Most reactions

Back