refund?

Hi Lady,
I'm so sorry to hear about your breakage. Ugg, I've had a broken collarbone in the past, and it's blindingly painful. Get better soon!

Now for the sad part: People sue other people every day for all kinds of petty B.S. They can also talk all the smack they want on the internet.
The happy part: is that you covered yourself with a contract that had a stipend for this situation, an excellent reason for transferring the job (it was actually in the clients best interest as you couldn't have done the job to your normal ability with a break like that), and seem to have bent over backwards to make them happy. You provided them with photos that they really like. There is no judge anywhere, in a courtroom or the internet that would take there bitching as legit.

YMMV, but my response would be to say it just like I have above. Let them know that THEY were your first concern. And that you DID take care of them. And NO WAY IN HELL do they get the photos AND the money. Pick one.

This type of thing has happened to a few friends of mine in town, and they stuck to their guns, and came out a.o.k on all counts. They won their court cases, and they also won the sympathy of lots and lots of brides who totally went with the photographer in the dispute.

Just get well.

Well said bennilou. It is a tough situation when something comes up that falls outside the control of the contracted photographer, having to deal with an injury, and then deal with people that are apparently happy with what they saw and yet still want to stir up trouble, it really adds insult to injury. Having aquired a replacement photographer on short notice is tough enough. I would just stick to it, I wouldn't consider any kind of refund, give them the photos and if they want to go to court over it, at last you can say, "I honoured the contract" Good luck.

NO! They get the photos, you get the money. PERIOD. You did everything you could, in my opinion. You could have left them without anyone to shoot their wedding with the shape you were in so screw them. They sound like awful people who dont even deserve the photos, let alone a refund!!!

Thanks all. The communication was there the whole time. I was slower than usual in getting the teasers up, but they saw them and loved them.

They want a refund and the photos.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't 1/2 insane and that maybe I should be giving them
Something because I wasn't there.

I had a client do this to me recently - demand that he get a refund and the photos because he didn't like them, and when I did a quick internet search I found out that he had already used my proofs for his own purposes. I don't watermark proofs if they have already paid. I didn't respond to his e-mails while I was consulting a lawyer, and he ended up never posting the bad reviews he spoke about. Besides... lots of people don't look at reviews anyway. And on top of that, even if they do post a bad review, it still boosts your web presence and lets you appear higher on search engines. I'm sure you have plenty of good reviews.

But whatever you do DO NOT give them the refund and the photos. If they try to take you to court they will look like absolute retards.

I definitely would not tell them to stick it or any other type of hard lined response. I would do everything in my power to make sure everybody was happy. Explain things like you've explained here, take a bit of what bennielou said about acting in the client's best interests, and hopefully everybody can leave smiling.

If you earn a reputation as a bait and switch photographer, it could ruin you. People hire you based on your portfolio, reputation, demeanor, etc. If people think they aren't going to get that from you, it could seriously hurt your business.

Just my .02.

Last edited:
The thing is, RUB:

They WANT the photos. They will make the right decision and pay for them. When you offer the either/or prospect that I outlined to you, I've never, ever seen anyone take the money and walk away with no photos. It doesn't happen.

However, when you give them the offer, along with the explaination of WHY you had to bring in another photographer and HOW IT WAS A BENEFIT to THEM, you are giving them some rational, as well as putting them in the power position, which is what they want. They will choose the photos.

Unless that is, they want to spend all that money again to totally redo the wedding. It just won't happen. And if they sue, you will win.

How are you feeling btw? Better I hope!

Finally spoke with the Bride and Grrom - I told them I had read their concerns and would resond this week. I told them that while I understand their frustration, and disappointment, they need to know a few things:

1) I was looking out for their BEST interests by hiring not 1, but 4 photogrpahers to have coverage. (One for the morning while hair and makeup was being done, my second shooter as planned, and the replacement couple who had to drive in 2 hours) I didnt skimp and get the first person that offered, I got the BEST I could find - which happend to be one of the best in our area.

2) I paid over and above what they were paying to ensure they had great coverage on their day.

3) That aside from shooting that day, I still have to do all of the work, for free.

4) That for them to ask me to pay for their wedding photography out of my own pocket is both unfair and unreasonable.

5) In the end though, I still want them to be happy and to feel liek this is a positive experience, so I am willing to offer a $200 account credit for them to go towards showing off the awesome photos in their new home.

They happily agreed and thanked me for my hard work.

Perfectly handled. Nicely done.

I second the tell them to **** off and if they carry on some heavies will go round and break their ****ing legs

Well done! I'm glad it was easily resolved. It's amazing what people will settle for when they see you aren't going to completely cave.

You just like everybody else and myself, Soft.
Would they give you a refund %$%^ NO!!
You have already paid the money to the replacement photographer.
Call his bluff which is 99% gas.

Most reactions

Back