Refurb from Canon or used from B&H?

TheBiles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I noticed that a used "10 condition" 60D body at B&H happened to be the same price as a refurb directly from Canon. Which would you recommend and why? I'm assuming the refurb has been thoroughly tested by Canon, but I'm guessing there was a reason that it had to be refurbished in the first place. The used one from B&H was listed (out of stock ATM) as mint condition in box, so I'm guessing it hasn't seen any rough times. What's the general consensus here?

Don't be afraid of refurbs. I've had good luck with mine and so have several others. Check to see if Adorama's price is the same as Canon's on a refurb. They offer a one year warranty for no charge on it. I think Canon direct is only 90 days.

Refurb from Canon ALL the way. Definitely.

IIRC Canon gives a 12 month warranty on their refurbs. Used has no warranty, but B&H has a more than fair return policy.

+2 on go with the refurb from Canon.

My ONLY concern with the refurb is that I keep wondering why it had to be refurbished in the first place. Are they typically in pretty fantastic condition on the exterior or would you expect things like dings and scratches?

Mine looked perfectly new when I received it. Not a hint that it was anything other than perfect.

My ONLY concern with the refurb is that I keep wondering why it had to be refurbished in the first place. Are they typically in pretty fantastic condition on the exterior or would you expect things like dings and scratches?
Refurbished cameras come from many sources.

Most are just returns from people having buyers remorse. Nothing was wrong with the camera but it has to be completely checked out and have the various recalibration re-checked. Any dings or scratches owould be repaired as part of the refurbishing process.

Some refurbs are used for testing in the factory, used for display, used at trade shows, required repair, etc. The main point being they cannot be sold as new gear, but receive a more thourough and individual inspection than the majority of cameras that come down the regular assembly line.

I came to the horrible realization today that Canon charges sales tax for its online refurbs, so the price difference between new and refub would have only been around $100, which was low enough to just go new.

Most reactions

Back