Refurb or used D90

Texas Parrothead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have decided to replace my D80 with a used D90.

I am unsure if I should get a used D90 in excellent/Like New Condition or if I should get a refurbished D90 from Nikon. I can get them both at about the same price.

I am leaning towards the refurb but am not sure if there are any issues anyone has heard regarding these.

I like it because it has been looked over by Nikon and brough up to good working condition. Plus it comes with a 3 month warranty.

My concern is am I buying someone elses unresolvable issues that may come back in time or are these old floor models that will have high acutuation counts. Most places selling refurbs would tell you the actuations.

Any thoughts?

Thanks to all in advance!

If the dollars are the same, I'd go with the refurb. At least Nikon techs have had their paws on it. The used one..... caveat emptor.

If depends on how old the used one is and if the seller still have the original invoice.
Not sure if Nikon is the same or not. From what I read, Canon will warranty the used camera if it is still under warranty as long as the owner have the original invoice. Although Canon said warranty is non transferable, but people were able to do so because the buyer can act as the original camera owner as a gift receiver. I guess as long as the actually buyer did not register the camera nor use the warranty service for that camera before.

So if Nikon warranty works the same as Canon. And The camera is in good condition plus it still have more than 3 months of warranty, I will get the used one, otherwise, I will pick up the refurbished body.

Refurbished.

Since the money is the same, the peace of mind is worth it. "like new" is a sales catchphrase that is a fancy way of saying "used".

Nikon refurbs sold by authorized dealers come with a 90 day Nikon warranty. Many Nikon authorized dealers then add another 9 months of their own warranty.

It's a toss up IMO. A refurb comes with a 90 day warranty, but it is also a camera that was returned for some reason, or a factory demo that might have been handled by hundreds of careless people.

Used, on the other hand, will likely be a perfectly good camera, often with one very careful owner, who's likely just upgrading to a d7000. The only downside is that you typically only have 3-7 days to return it (if bought on ebay). It would be unusual that a problem wouldn't be immediately detectable, but it's possible.

I'd say go used, just make sure the buyer lists the shutter count. Stay away from anything with 7k or more shots, as that would be a "high use" camera.

Most entry-level refurbs are returns made because of buyer remorse or the user was to inept to make the camera work properly, and there was nothing wrong with the camera.

However each camera that has been returned or is being sold as a refurb (for whatever reason) has to be inspected and tested individually. Regular production units get sampled randomly, say 1 out of every 100 or so produced, if that often.

For whatever reason, cameras sold as refurbished cannot be sold as new.

I found I can get a new D90 for $799 (no tax or shipping charges) but it will come with a Canadian warranty.

If there is an issue I would need to ship it back to the canadian seller to use the warranty.

I like the idea of this as it is a new camera from a reputable seller but would have the Canadian warranty.

What are everyone's thought on this?

Would I be better off with an American refurb and a 3 month American warranty or a brand new Canadian D90?

Last edited:
Very Excited!!!

I had to fly to New Jersey on business this week and the opportunity to shop all of the wonderful camera stores in the area (B&H, Adorama, Beach, 17th street, and Abe's of Maine).

I was able to get a brand new USA warranty version D90 from Abe's of Maine for $876.00 after tax.

I drive down to their shop to pick it up tonight!

Thanks to all for your help and advise!!!

Most reactions

Back