release charge

raider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
you have a wedding set of pics on cd that contain 300 pics and another wedding that has only 50 (small wedding). how do you charge for the copyright release so they can print them at their pick of location? one standard fee or per file?

The going rate is anywhere between 250 and 650. For 300 I would say you are closer to the 250 side.

hmmm... good question. In the old "film days," some advice was to charge the same amount to release a negative (after the initial order) as you would for one custom 8x10. I don't think this reasoning translates well to an entire candid wedding.

Now that we're in the digital age, I have to re-think this. I would think you would have to do all the prep work on the files... color correction, cropping, etc.. That has to be worth something.

So, even on your smaller job of 50 images, if you spend as little as 3 minutes on each file you'll have invested close to 3 hours. It would take me much longer though.

Let's do some math... 4 hours x $70 = $280. Of couse you use your own numbers. Now lets say they would have ordered oh.... 20 8x10's from your files. If you charge as little as $16 for an 8x10, and it cost you say... $4 to make it, then you'd be losing $12 x 20, or $240 by releasing the files.

I hope this didn't just add to the confusion.

Pete

JodieO said:
I'm not wedding, but I only let the portrait session images (approx. 40) go for $2,800. No less, no "let's make a deal", no exceptions.

See? That sound's right to me. From a portrait session, there's the potential of selling a print of nealy every exposure (unlike a candid wedding). AND... I charge more for my portait prints.

So... some more math:

Let's say 30 prints x $85 = $2,550. Right in the ball park.

Christie Photo said:
See? That sound's right to me. From a portrait session, there's the potential of selling a print of nealy every exposure (unlike a candid wedding). AND... I charge more for my portait prints.

So... some more math:

Thanks for sharing that, cause I sorta just pulled that figure out of nowhere a couple months ago and now I even had a customer order it! lolololol :lol: It's reassuring seeing you type that :)

Christie Photo said:

So... some more math:

This brings up another question... What are you guys charging for prints?

photogoddess said:
This brings up another question... What are you guys charging for prints?

First, my usual disclaimer... I'm "old school," and suspect I'm a bit out of touch. That being said...

I actually have three different consumer products. This dates back to the film days and the labs offered three different products.

1) Custom Portriat Prints - negative retouched, prints hand made on an enlarger with any dodging or burning as needed, flexichrome work as needed, dry mounting and spray, delivered in a folder.

2) Portrait Packages (for high school seniors only) - negative retouched, prints made on a multi-printer, textured paper, sold in units only, delivered in folders. No mounting or spray included.

3) Candid Prints - individual machine prints, delivered in a folder. No retouching, spray or mounting.

I'm overdue on re-examining my pricing. This is where it stands now for an 8x10 print:

Custom - $85.00
Seniors - $72.00
Weddings - $24.00

My smallest senior package is three units: 1 8x10, 2 5x7, and 8 wallet - $145.00

I know there are higher priced studios in my area, but I couldn't give you any specifics.

bellaPictures said:
Still want to know this question....anyone?????

I'm presuming they're digital. The original question is as follows:

raider said:
you have a wedding set of pics on cd that contain 300 pics and another wedding that has only 50 (small wedding). how do you charge for the copyright release so they can print them at their pick of location? one standard fee or per file?

But you may have a point there. When surrendering negs, you can no longer provide any services on that order. On the other hand, there's no post-capture work to be done. Just more to think about.

Pete

wow - thanks for the extensive insight guys - made my day over here in Iraq a little brighter (and it is digital) (and i'm charging too low)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back