Release form question

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know that you need to get people to sign a release form if you plan to use their photos for publication etc., but what about structures? If someone wanted to put together a book of barn photos for instance, would they need to have the property owner sign a release?

Well, you cannot copyright structures and if there is no one in the photo then you cannot possibly be invading anyone's privacy either. You also cannot be defamming anyone through the photo unless everyone knows it's the mayor's barn and you intentionally made it look much worse and run down then it actually was, for example. So, there seem to be no laws that you could possibly be violating. I would tend not to identify the owner of the structure or its location (although location could be in general terms).

skieur

I know you probably already do, and this is probably a moot point, but the one thing I would get is permission from the landowner to photograph the barn, or other rural structure, if for courtesy more than anything.

Our family owned an old barn that was photogenic, and of some local historic significance. You would be surprised at the number of people that would just drive through the yard of the old homestead to look at, photgraph it, or go through it, taking wood or other items. The property was posted as private property / no trespassing without written permission, and the barn was posted for no entry. A contact name and number was provided. In 20 years, we only received two requests to photograph the barn.

At one point, it got so bad that we were concerned about the liability and vandalism, and were advised by our insurance carrier to either destroy the building or securely fence it. We elected to do the latter. Unfortunately, the barn was destroyed in a windstorm several years ago.

I know that I am preaching to the choir, but always ask for permission.

You also cannot be defamming anyone through the photo unless everyone knows it's the mayor's barn and you intentionally made it look much worse and run down then it actually was, for example.

LOL - I know of a few people I'd like to do that to. Thanks for the feedback Skieur.

I know you probably already do, and this is probably a moot point, but the one thing I would get is permission from the landowner to photograph the barn, or other rural structure, if for courtesy more than anything.

I shoot mainly from the roadside, but if I ever had the need to go onto private property I would certainly ask permisson. The worst I've ever done is park in the very end of a dirveway [at the roads edge] so I could take the time to compose a shot.

You might be surprised about how much access you could get if you did ask to go around the structure.

Years ago in college, I asked a property owner if I could go on her land to shoot an old brick grain silo for an assignment, and she was more than accomodating, just wanted me to be careful. I took a copies of some of the better exposures back to her a week later, and she was overjoyed.

Chibamonkey -

There are three barns I want to shoot that would require me to ask permisson and I have always put off doing it; perhaps next time I'm in that area I will give it a try - all they can do is say no, right?

You need a property release for shooting a property on the property.

You need a property release for shooting a property on the property.

Which law says that? Quote the section. You are not correct.

skieur

I have no clue. All I know is that every commercial shoot I've ever seen on private property had a release.

Well the OP stated "use their photo for publication."

So I thought that part was obvious.

Well the OP stated "use their photo for publication."

So I thought that part was obvious.

Yes it was. Sorry... :wink:

I do agree however that you do need a property release, at least for commercial usage.

Chibamonkey -

There are three barns I want to shoot that would require me to ask permisson and I have always put off doing it; perhaps next time I'm in that area I will give it a try - all they can do is say no, right?

One of the motto's that I live by.....what's the worst they can do? If you do decide to publish any of the photos, I would get a release. And I would also give the landowner copies of the prints that you want to publish. Be upfront and honest. Can't hurt.

Good luck, and I hope you get the shots you want. :thumbup:

I have no clue. All I know is that every commercial shoot I've ever seen on private property had a release.

There is a separation between advertising use which "represents" the location in a different manner and where releases may be advisable and strict publication use. For example, taking a photo of a newly painted house and using it to advertise a particular brand or paint store would certainly be asking for trouble. On the other hand, a coffee table book on barns in the rural countryside is neutral.

For publication use, a release is not required. Whether some photographers go after one for extra "insurance" in their mind is of course their personal choice.

skieur

Yes it was. Sorry... :wink:

I do agree however that you do need a property release, at least for commercial usage.

For advertising purposes ONLY.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back