Religious ritual.

ozzono

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.carlosbravo.net
In the countryside of Spain, still religious rituals with much tradition are celebrated. Greetings.

bercianos7.jpg

We have something that looks like this in america too. Here it's not so much a religious ritual. I would assume you're going to catch some friendly harrasment for this one buddy.

I wasn't exactly thinking Spain when I saw it :/ What ritual is it related too? That might help avert some comments. I"m from the south and the group it resembles is in no way a religous group in any way shape or form.

On another scope though, the black & white fits it very well, the shape of the eye hole makes it look a bit wicked with a bit of an ominous air about it. But that could be because of what it makes me think of, not knowing the ceremony it's involved with.

In Spain, around Easter, these hoods have nothing to do with the KK-Clan and the two cannot and must not be compared.

Found this

Easter in Spain

On Palm Sunday, people go to mass in the morning. Children carry palm leaves to be blessed by the priest. Boys carry a simple palm branch, and the girls carry a branch that has been decorated. They often have sweets, tinsel or other decorations hanging from them.
In Christian churches, Ash Wednesday is the first day of the penitential season of Lent, so called this ceremony for it is the ceremony of placing ashes on the forehead as a sign of penitence. In the Roman Catholic church, ashes obtained from burned palm branches of the previous Palm Sunday are blessed before mass on Ash Wednesday. The priest places the blessed ashes on the foreheads of the officiating priests, the clergy, and the congregation, while reciting over each one the following: "Remember that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return".
Lent is a period of fasting and penitence in preparation for Easter. The length of the Lenten fast, during which observants eat sparingly, was established in the 4th century as 40 days.The 40-day period begins on Ash Wednesday and extends, with the omission of Sundays, to the day before Easter.
On Maundy Thursday there is a special celebration in Verges (Gerona). A macabre dance is performed by men dressed as skeletons. In Spain, the saints or pasos are carried through the streets by specially chosen people, some of whom wear the traditional hooded costumes of the community

here:
http://www.easterbunnys.net/spanisheaster.htm

Thanks for that explanation, LaFoto. :thumbup:

It is images like this, which have a benign religious meaning in some parts of the world but will strike a different chord for some of us in the States, that really remind us we're an international photo forum. :)

It's a very good shot - nicely composed and great DOF here.

terri said:
Thanks for that explanation, LaFoto. :thumbup:

It is images like this, which have a benign religious meaning in some parts of the world but will strike a different chord for some of us in the States, that really remind us we're an international photo forum. :)

It's a very good shot - nicely composed and great DOF here.

I agree with every word you just said. The diversity on this forum rocks.

Very nice shot! I like the composition as well!

nice capture!! we have also riligious rituals here during "Good Friday", but ours is bloody... imagine, a couple of hardcore believers being crucified...

Explanation on this religious ritual in Spain. I think that this explanation can be necessary to avoid a possible cultural shock, by possible aesthetic similarities, although of course, it does not have anything to do with KKK.

Easter in Spain

In almost all the Christian religious rituals, the image of Christ is present.

bercianos5.jpg

They lower of its cross, clearing to him the nails to it, and the crown. By each element that they clear they offer an oration and they request a pardon.

bercianos14.jpg

They introduce to Christ in a ballot box

bercianos11.jpg

And accompanied by the people of the town, they take it to the cemetery, where they return to say orations.

bercianos15.jpg

Since I have commented previously, the people of the town accompany this procession.

bercianos13.jpg

While they say, others hope respectfully.

bercianos12.jpg

Once finished the orations, they lower the image of Christ, again to the church of the town.

bercianos8.jpg

You can see, that it is an eminently religious ritual, and very rooted in a countryside of Spain.

bercianos9.jpg

I believe that he is interesting to know, that the age of these people enough is elevated, the young people have separated completely from these celebrations. In addition, these white dresses are given before contracting marriage by their respective women, and will be buried with these clothes the day of their death.

I hope of heart that nobody has felt like victim with previous post, in which could take to an ambiguity by the aesthetic similarity with the KKK. But in fact she does not have anything to do, he is something totally different.

Greetings from Spain.

very interesting pictures ozzono....... you captured the event well :thumbup:

Nice captures... I too thought of the KKK without reading the descriptions. The eyehole is also bent in a way to show an almost cartoonish anger in the pic.

Funny thing...I am portuguese (live in the US for all my life though) and I have never seen a ritual like this in my home country.

thanks for sharing.

Wonderful explination and series Ozzono. Except for a couple of modern images you could imagine this ceremony taking place any time in the past ... it has a very timeless feel to it. Beautiful :)

Not only are they beautiful, as my fellow mods stated, they are a very clear example of how things differ from country to country. Amazing photos and a great series Ozzono. :thumbsup:

Yes here in America..... When I first saw it I thought the same thing.

These are great photos and I'm glad you added the others. Very interesting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back