Remind me, guys....

I think 35mm has higher resolution than (most) digital cameras.
Isn't it something like 16 megapixels to equal the resolution of a 35mm frame?

If it has more resolution is not the question. Are you going to be able to take advantage of that resolution is the question. It's going to get scanned at some point, and to really take advantage of the resolution, it needs a great scan. For me, it's second generation digital. I'd rather start with the product I'm going to end up with. If you buy a high end film scanner and control the process yourself, it might be worth it to you.

Yes there is an advantage. You can mess up more with your exposure and still get good pics. 5 stops of latitude instead of about 1.5....

It's going to get scanned at some point, and to really take advantage of the resolution, it needs a great scan. For me, it's second generation digital. I'd rather start with the product I'm going to end up with.

You're making an assumption that the photo is for digital use. If you were to end up with an analog product, wouldn't you want to start with an analog source?

Dave

You're making an assumption that the photo is for digital use. If you were to end up with an analog product, wouldn't you want to start with an analog source?

Dave

He's comparing film to digital. He's not going to buy a digital SLR and then do analog printing.

I think so.. I still prefer the tonality of b/w film -- I don't feel you can capture it with digital. Price is still a huge factor. My $200 Canon 8600F scanner can scan 35mm negs much larger than the 6mp from my Pentax K100D. Considering I shoot with a Pentax ME-F, that plus 28mm, 50mm, and 135mm lenses cost less than the Pentax digital body alone by far. High ISO shooting also looks better on film.

Obviously digital has its advantages over 35mm that for some people definitely make it more attractive. The ability to shoot away and edit later, and change ISO on the fly effectively simulates being able to change film every frame. From a cost standpoint, the initial buy-in is way higher, but you never have to pay for film or processing/chemicals.

If you make wet prints, however, you can make much bigger enlargements with film and only get grainy. Looks much better than pixels if you want a bigger print from your digital.

Why am I sitting here comparing 35mm to digital? :( Just shoot with what you like.

He's comparing film to digital. He's not going to buy a digital SLR and then do analog printing.

His question was quite general, he didn't say anything about buying a digital SLR. I would say there are several advantages to film for those that appreciate it (to the OP - most are discussed in the hundreds of threads on this topic in the archives), and analog printing is one of them.

Dave

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Both are nice, so why limit yourself to just one? ;)

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Both are nice, so why limit yourself to just one? ;)
Because film up here in Canadia is expensive! :lol:
Incidentally, I use a K-1000, don't get the best results, and miss my P&S digi. Yikes.
My colours are always a bit off, a lot of the time grain is killing me, and (This goes against everything I've ever heard) my pictures have shockingly little exposure latitude. Highlights are blown out, shadows are unsalvageable black.
I think I'm definitely a digital guy, seeing as I mostly work on the web, but I really have a soft spot for film, seeing as I learned on it. Lately, it's been letting me down...
I'm going to blame my camera.

Lately, it's been letting me down...
I'm going to blame my camera.

Well of all the reasons to choose one or the other, that's *not* one of them. Exposure is exposure whether on film or digital, and you would probably do better in either medium if you took the time to learn to expose properly without "program mode". Slide film will teach you best and is quite inexpensive to have processed.

Dave

It comes down to this: an analog print from film > an inkjet print from digital.

Most reactions

Back