Remote trigger: Wireless or wired?

gossamer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
I need a remote trigger for fireworks this weekend. I have a D300. Are there any disadvantages to a wireless controller, other than the obvious battery requirements?

I'm considering the Nikon MC-30A wired controller, or the RFN-4S wireless on Amazon for about $70. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Battery life isn't a huge concern for the RF triggers; I've had my current one for at least three years with the same batteries (an eBay no-name unit). I wouldn't bother with a wired release, the flexibility afforded by the RF style is so nice, especially if you're after wildlife or something skittish.

I bought a simple wireless remote on eBay for 2 dollars. Works great. If you need more control obviously spend more, personally I think it's worth having a wireless and corded remote.

I'm not sure if this is an option for Nikon, but I have a couple sets of Yongnuo 603 triggers that can operate as both wireless shutter triggers *and* flash triggers -- one of the only advantages they've got vs. the more capable 622's.

I bought the Vello Shutterboss (wired) for mine and love it. It makes long exposures much much simpler. I didn't see the need for a wireless one, as it cost twice as much.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I ended up buying the Vello Shutterboss wireless yesterday. I was also considering the Hahnel Giga T Pro II 2.4Ghz wireless. Hoping I made the right decision!

It's not going to arrive before the 4th of July for fireworks, which sucks, but I'll follow up eventually when I get it working and let everyone know what I think.

Gossamer...I am glad you came to your senses and bought the vello. :mrgreen: Hope you get good use of it as I am right now.

I like the little wireless remote trigger for it's ease of use and it came in a little case that I keep on the camera strap so I always have it. The trigger is on the right side of the strap and a spare memory card in a little case taped to the left side. If I need a spare card I whip out my pocket knife - cut the scotch tape and pop in the new card. Old trick from newspaper days when I kept a roll of Tri-X 36 exposure taped to the strap of the Nikon F...

I do wish it had a little carrying case I could attach to my camera bag, instead of having to find a pocket for all three pieces - the wire, transmitter/controller, and receiver. Ah well, it's still a great device, and perhaps I'll come across something I can use.

I do wish it had a little carrying case I could attach to my camera bag, instead of having to find a pocket for all three pieces - the wire, transmitter/controller, and receiver. Ah well, it's still a great device, and perhaps I'll come across something I can use.
Small snack size zip lock bag ... or something like that.

I'm not sure if this is an option for Nikon, but I have a couple sets of Yongnuo 603 triggers that can operate as both wireless shutter triggers *and* flash triggers -- one of the only advantages they've got vs. the more capable 622's.

603's are what I use for wireless triggers, they also wirelessly trigger my 560III speedlights. great little units.

I've also got vello wired remotes and have had no problems with those either.

Most reactions

Back