Remote Triggers

Two words.... RADIO POPPERS!!! They were built specifically for TTL OCF, and they work flawlessly by piggy-backing on the already fantastic Nikon CLS system. They are also more affordable than PW's. The transmitter is appx $250, and the receivers are appx $250. I can't recommend them enough.

Home - RadioPopper

PW's are less than the Radio Poppers...

The only fault with that is if you're shooting outside, the flash may not see the signal.

90% of my shooting is outside, okie, I'll read up some reviews and see if I can get them delivered before NZ. Cheers

Up until about two years ago, there were no TTL triggers

Ok I get it, now manual is the way to go!

Right so if I want some Cyber Syncs to do off camera flashes would:

On Camera - AlienBees - CyberSync™ Trigger Transmitter
Connected to camera (I think you mean Flash) - AlienBees - CyberSync™ Plus Receivers

Would that work?

On the camera, you would want the CST Trigger Transmitter. Then for each remote light, you would want a CSRB Receiver. The 'Plus' receiver will work, but is also meant to be used with AB lights and the Cyber Commander (allowing full remote control and metering of AB studio lights).

Also note that the receivers don't have built in hot-shoes...so you will need to plug the receiver into the flash (several cords supplied)....but you need to check that your flash has a sync port. If it doesn't, then you'll need a Speedlight Foot Adapter.

There are cheaper options. Namely, the Cactus triggers (or similar). You can get a set (trigger & receiver) for $40...so it's A LOT cheaper. And they have a built in shoe, so no adapters required. The only issue is reliability. I tried some of the older models and while they worked, they weren't consistent enough for pro work. That's why I went with the Cyber Sync system.

If you are just doing this as a hobby (and don't have a money tree), then it might be a good option to try the cheaper kits. Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Wireless Trigger

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Those look pretty good. They even have group triggering, so I guess it would allow you to set each light (or group of lights) to either the A, B or C channel...then you could choose to fire either channel or all three.

It's not something that everyone would use (usually, if you set up a light, you want it to fire...so you'd only need one channel), but it's a cool feature if you set up a lot of lights, or if you set them in a location that isn't easy to access and want to choose when it fires.

Brilliant need to wait for a cheque to clear and I'll order myself a receiver and transfer!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ah, looks like I am too late. I have had very good luck with Cactus V4's. I have 12 sets of them to cover most of my flashes.

The Nikon wireless system is range limited. Should be a diagram in your SB-900 manual. But I believe Nikon states 30' range for flash units in the front 1/4 view of the camera. I use it for on location indoor portrait work. But if I move outside then I go to the triggers.

Instead of another SB-900, might want to save a few dollars and go for a SB-600. In most cases you don't need 2 big guns. The 600 is slightly more powerful than the new SB-700, and a little less than SB-900's. I have 1-SB-900 and 3-SB-600's for my normal use lights. I have older Nikon units to use when I need them as well. SB-700's are actually a little less powerful than 600's but have a couple extra functions and longer lens coverage. I notice the price of SB-600's went up again when the 700's came out. They are good flashes and almost 1/2 of SB-900's price wise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back