Rename Critique forum

xfloggingkylex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, we are having a big of an issue with some of the posts in the critique forum not being there for the purpose of the forum. Here is what I said in that thread

xfloggingkylex said:
Really the name critique forum isn't the best way to name a form and isn't indicative of the forums purpose. Perhaps we should rename it the "I've got a problem" forum, considering thats what it's for, and it would also keep n00bs from posting and then having threads moved. Another problem I think is that you need to scroll down a bit to see the galleries, so many people just go for the first thing they see.

People see critique and think that posting a picture will lead to comments, when in reality the forum is meant for pictures with problems. In fact, pictures with problems would be a catchy new title for it.

Should be a very simple change that would help prevent a lot of problems.

PS: how do I become a mod?

i'm not so sure that is in fact valid. critique is - here's what i've done based on what i can/know how to do with the resources available to me...tell me what you think about what i've done.

to rename it to 'i have a problem' is contrary to all of the above. 'i have a problem' means that someone knows of the issues and is asking for solutions.

it may appear that there is a fuzzy line between the two, but truly they are completely different categories.

Distinctly different from the other sections on this Forum! This forum exists to perform a specific function. Designed specifically towards photographic growth, this is a venue for people who seek help or advice with a specific image. Technical problem? Concerns with composition? Post your image here, with equipment details! READ THE FORUM RULES before you participate!

That is what it says after the critique forum as the definition. to me this does mean the person knows there is a problem and wants to fix it. Either way something needs to be changed, either the forum name needs to fit the definition, or the definition needs to be changed to fit the forum name.

just to get a better view on this: is this a recent problem? I mean, I know why this came up, but do you think this is a problem with every post? Or just the ones that are getting the attention now?
In other words: isn't the exception changing the rules now?

pascal

just to get a better view on this: is this a recent problem? I mean, I know why this came up, but do you think this is a problem with every post? Or just the ones that are getting the attention now?
In other words: isn't the exception changing the rules now?

pascal

it has been a problem for a while now, but the most recent problems from that thread are what caused me to bring it up here in the suggestions forum. On any given day if you go into the critique forum and look at how many threads have "Moved" next to them it's crazy. People post in there for general critique and that isn't what the forum says its for.

If people do not read before they post, the same things continue to occur.

For those of you who really do get what it's about: :hail:

We love to see you help us out by educating other members who may not have taken the same time you did to read the guidelines and appreciate what the forum is here for. I'm certainly open to hearing some more input on the description. Just as important is a way to get every member to read it and follow through before posting.

I like it just the way it is. I think of it like a mini PPA critique of sorts. It's very educational to be able to take a client ready (or completed) photo, and see what others see it it that you may not have, what areas are strong, and what areas could use some refining.
While I agree that the line is confusing sometimes, especially to new posters, I think they do genuinely want some feedback. Even if they haven't mentioned a "problem". Maybe they think the photo is great, and only wonders if it's "contest worthy".
Or maybe they are trying something new, and just aren't sure if it's working or not.
Just my two pennies.

Maybe what we really need to do is look at the purpose of the post. Look what I can do ma, does not belong in a critique thread because the person doesn't want or feel they can benefit from it.

I have just recently see that stated by an experienced photographer not an arogant kid, so I have to believe it is true. That kind of post doesn't need to take up space in the critique thread.

But then I also think a person doesn't necessarily know what is wrong with an image when they post it. If they want to know what they are doing right and what they are doing wrong, then there should be a place for them to find out.

What is the motive of the poster should really decide where the thread should be.

One thing no one seems to realize or at least acknowledge is... Not only does the poster of the image learn something. Hopefull all the people who view the thread learn as well. I you just want to help that one poster send a message to them. The idea of public critique in my opinion is for everyone to learn. I have to admit I find the widespread poor composition worrysome but thats just me. Someone else would find something else the big problem.

We love to see you help us out by educating other members who may not have taken the same time you did to read the guidelines and appreciate what the forum is here for. I'm certainly open to hearing some more input on the description. Just as important is a way to get every member to read it and follow through before posting.

Well changing the name to something more obscure IMO would help. People see critique and thing, "great, I'll post my pics (all of them) and get some feedback from the site to let me know how I'm doing and if theres anything to be changed" because thats what the critique forum implies.

Changing the name to something different would keep newbies at bay IMO.

I'm all for leaving the critique forum and changing the purpose of it, but then maybe making a new forum that is designed only for pictures where you need help with certain aspects of it, and name the forum so it doesn't draw un-needed attention

Critique as it is used in Salon Competitions is a serious, professional evaluation of the effectiveness and impact of the photo in the areas of technique: the tech areas such as exposure, focus, shutterspeed, etc. and composition: the design elements of thirds, framing, angle, etc.

With this in mind, someone would submit what they think is a great photo for Critique in order to find out whether it does meet the standard criteria in technique and composition for a excellent photo with great impact. Some might realize that they have a photo that meets some of the criteria but not all and wonder what others think of it. Still others wonder perhaps what they could have done just a little differently to improve it or whether postprocessing can make an improvement.

Variations in the quality of the comments of those critiquing a photo depend largely on both knowledge and experience of photography.

(BTW moderator: Why do I not have permission (according to the screen) to insert photos?)

skieur

Thank you very much for your comments, skieur. The matter of the Critique forum is being addressed, and your input here is appreciated very much. :)

Please take a moment to review this thread to make sure you are following the various upload instructions completely. Follow the links if you are interested in subscribing so you can upload directly.

Thanks again, and welcome to TPF!

perhaps seperate "Feedback" and "Problem Solving" forums might be in order. One for general feedback from the forum at large, and the other for more technical information?

Most reactions

Back