Renting a 24-70mm 2.8L for V-Day...any tips?

Cop J

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I decided to rent a Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L Lens for Valentine's Day. I currently have a T2i with a 18-55mm and a 50mm 1.8, but figured I'd rather just keep one lens on the camera since I will be taking pictures indoor and outdoor.

Haven't used this lens yet, but I heard it's heavy, but a great lens. I want to take as many good pics as I can tomorrow, of the lady, flowers, presents, etc. I am excited, as I haven't used a L lens yet, so I am looking forward to the better quality and sharpness.

Any tips you pro's have for me for taking pics indoor and outdoor? Where is this lens sharpest at? I know it's 2.8 throughout the whole zoom range, but do most of you change the aperture for different environments?

I have a few tips for the perfect valentines day shoot...

1: Set camera up on tripod with remote trigger.
2: Get a box.
3: Cut a hole in the box.
4: Put your junk in the box.
5: Make her open the box.
6: Press trigger.

Who knows, you might end up getting to take some impromptu boudoir photos later in the evening depending on how things go. Then again, you might end up in prison.

Just an idea ;)

***EDIT: All credit goes to Comedy Central.***

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to rent a Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L Lens for Valentine's Day. I currently have a T2i with a 18-55mm and a 50mm 1.8, but figured I'd rather just keep one lens on the camera since I will be taking pictures indoor and outdoor.

Haven't used this lens yet, but I heard it's heavy, but a great lens. I want to take as many good pics as I can tomorrow, of the lady, flowers, presents, etc. I am excited, as I haven't used a L lens yet, so I am looking forward to the better quality and sharpness.

Any tips you pro's have for me for taking pics indoor and outdoor? Where is this lens sharpest at? I know it's 2.8 throughout the whole zoom range, but do most of you change the aperture for different environments?

What kind of advice do you need? It works like your kit but the aperture will stay constant throughout the range. That, and the quality is better. Should be a piece of cake.

@togalive - Classic bro. Classic.

This lens is pretty good at F2.8, but as with pretty much all lenses, it's at it's best when you stop it down a stop or two. So for maximum sharpness, F4 or F5.6 would be great. And many photographers will tell you that F8 is a sweet spot for most lenses.

But, part of the advantage to using a 'fast' lens like this, is using the large aperture to get a shallow DOF. So if that's what you want, then use it at F2.8.

Keep an eye on your focus, especially at farther distances. This lens, as great as it is, has a bit of reputation for auto focus inadequacies.

***EDIT: All credit goes to Comedy Central.***

Why would credit go to comedy central for a Saturday Night Live sketch?

OP. Stop the lens down to f/4 at least for sharper photos. It's still going to have pretty decent sharpness wide open, but not optimal. There's not much else you need to know. It's a lens, and it's a high quality one. Just get out and shoot it.

Another tip is pay down your credit card, 'cuz after renting this you'll HAVE to own it
bigthumb.gif

o hey tyler said:

OP. Stop the lens down to f/4 at least for sharper photos. It's still going to have pretty decent sharpness wide open, but not optimal. There's not much else you need to know. It's a lens, and it's a high quality one. Just get out and shoot it.

Since SNL broadcasts on Comedy Central. If you'd like I can say all credit goes to Viacom since they're the ones with the money :p

Someone is going to take a home video on V-day... weee!

o hey tyler said:

Since SNL broadcasts on Comedy Central. If you'd like I can say all credit goes to Viacom since they're the ones with the money :p

SNL broadcasts on NBC, Comedy Central just re-runs it. Plus, it's not very "Saturday Night" if you watch it during the week on Comedy Central. ;)

o hey tyler said:

SNL broadcasts on NBC, Comedy Central just re-runs it. Plus, it's not very "Saturday Night" if you watch it during the week on Comedy Central. ;)

:O IVE BEEN DECEIVED!!!!

Most reactions

Back