Repairing your own camera? Fungus on lens?

Have you ever tried to 'fix' your own camera/lens?

• Yes, I have. No comment!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Great link.

I took a MF folder with fungus around the edges of the lens, set it with the shutter open on bulb, and put it in the sunshine for a few weeks. Now I don't see any fungus.

ksmattfish said:
I took a MF folder with fungus around the edges of the lens, set it with the shutter open on bulb, and put it in the sunshine for a few weeks. Now I don't see any fungus.

That usually does the trick! And with the sun we're getting down here I can de-fungus just about anything in sight. :lol: :lol:

I'm currently trying to get funding for a project for anti-mold lens caps;

LumaGuard anti-mold lens caps | Indiegogo

$20121018003409-lens5.jpg

Heck no! I have invested to much money in my lenses to screw them up. I am not a handy like that. I am a member of Canon Professional Services and I send my lenses to them.

I wasn't a member when this thread started, however I do sometimes repair my own lenses.

petzval04sm.jpg

petzval03sm.jpg

and this was the result, optically it's almost perfect now :mrgreen:

petzval07sm.jpg

petzval08sm.jpg

I've repaired 35mm SLR lenses in the past and will be recementing some older lenses including a Sironat 150mm with separation sometime over the winter.

Ian

Thanks the lens was a £20 ($32) flea market bargain, I showed it to the seller after restoration last weekend at a Camera Fair. Another dealer told me he'd expect to sell the lens for over £200 ($320). I managed to find a flange at the same camera fair and I've also made a set of Waterhouse stops for it.

So in this case a DIY repair has really paid off, I don't intend selling the lens at the moment :lol:

Ian

Thread is from 2004, revived by a seller/entrepreneur.
Still, kudos on the repairs. Looks great. And good job turning a profit :D

:) A worthy ressurection!

I've fixed some, knackered some. Iris mechanisms I find are where it all can go bad.
Taking off something without being able to see (underneath/inside) how the mechanism interacts..
I usually limit myself to internal disassembly/adjustments from the front rather than
going in via the mount.

People often recommend workshops on this forum..I'd like to attend a (generic, Japanese made)
lens repair workshop.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back