replacement batteries

richard20d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good Morning everyone. Over the years my batteries for my canon 20d and 30d have decided not to hold a charge any more. Please could someone tell me if they know of any good replacement batteries apart from the Canon brand.

Kind Regards Richard

Wasabi Batteries have had some good reviews over the years. I have never used them, keep in mind some camera bodies require a chip/certified battery to work correctly. Good luck.
Products

;);) Maybe time to upgrade...

Stay away from Vivitar brand batteries. I bought two, both died in less than a year with only moderate use. I have a pair of Kastar batteries now and those are working much better.

I got this set cheaply on Amazon and they work as well as my standard batteries on my 40D...

Powerextra 2 Pack Replacement Canon BP-511, BP-511A Battery and Charger For Canon EOS 5D 10D 20D 20Da 30D 40D

I used to buy third party batteries. I don't do that anymore.

My first Canon came with the one factory battery and I bought a couple of third party batteries to make sure I didn't get caught with a dead battery.

Over time I noticed two trends:

#1 ... The Canon battery, once charged, would hold the charge for a long time. But the third party batteries (I had three different brands) were quite low on power if they sat unused in my bag for a month. Lesson learned: Canon batteries are "low self discharge" but that wasn't true of my third party batteries.

#2 ... The Canon battery was still working quite a few years later. But I started having problems with the third party batteries even after they were just one year old.

All batteries are basically chemical timers... from the moment they are manufactured they begin to degrade. After some number of years you'll need to replace them. How quickly they start to degrade in their ability to accept a charge, how much of a charge they can hold, and how well they can hold the charge without self-discharging will vary based on battery quality.

I learned that "genuine" Canon batteries are actually very high quality batteries and they do well in that regard. They cost more, but they last a lot longer.

Good Morning everyone. Over the years my batteries for my canon 20d and 30d have decided not to hold a charge any more. Please could someone tell me if they know of any good replacement batteries apart from the Canon brand.

Kind Regards Richard

Richard, I’ve used a number of generic batteries and all have worked well. I remember paying as little as $7 for one of them. I still have and use them all and a few are10 years old. I think if they come from a reputable store you’ll be ok.
If I recall the chips are so the camera can display the amount of charge while in use. If I recall, the 20D doesn’t have the ability to read the renaming charge, I think!?
For a camera as old as a 20/30D I personally would not waste money on a OEM battery.
I guess if you don’t need more mp, the 20D is a pretty fine camera!!! Good luck
SS

I've had good luck with Vivitar batteries. Bought 8 for various cameras. They don't hold quite the same charge as Canon but haven't had any issues with them.

Most reactions

Back