Replacing 18-55 kit lens

Beav

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
allmarkphotography.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. Im getting a 10-20mm sigma all being well for wide angle shots but im also looking for a lens to replace my 18-55mm kit lens. Im looking for a range 17-50 or 18-50. Ive noticed there are some 18-70mm which I would also consider. Im looking to spend £200 and ive seen some sigmas and tamron's but im told sigma's are a tad better built quality. Please recommend away~

Thanks

I have the Tamron 17-50 and I am extremely pleased with this lens. One thing to consider, however is that most of these ultra wides will not work with a full frame camera should you decide to go that way in the future. It's my biggest pet peeve with the Tamron-I can't use it with my 5d2. I wish I had gone with the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 instead for that reason.
My other peeve with it-I quite often shoot at 17mm when I shouldn't and it causes distortion issues that are not flattering in a portrait or will give you bent poles, etc. See the image on this page for how the wide angle affects faces This Image Shows How Camera Lenses Beautify or Uglify Your Pretty Face

I am not sure why you would want to have two wides so close in range. You will see very little difference between 17 and 10mm and the 17-50 covers the 20mm range.

I have the Tamron 17-50 and I am extremely pleased with this lens. One thing to consider, however is that most of these ultra wides will not work with a full frame camera should you decide to go that way in the future. It's my biggest pet peeve with the Tamron-I can't use it with my 5d2. I wish I had gone with the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 instead for that reason.
My other peeve with it-I quite often shoot at 17mm when I shouldn't and it causes distortion issues that are not flattering in a portrait or will give you bent poles, etc. See the image on this page for how the wide angle affects faces This Image Shows How Camera Lenses Beautify or Uglify Your Pretty Face

I am not sure why you would want to have two wides so close in range. You will see very little difference between 17 and 10mm and the 17-50 covers the 20mm range.

I would consider ranges in the 20's upwards as well. Sorry bud, didn't know they did a 28-75

EDIT: I found this http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/search/28-75?keyword=28-75&search_submit=SEARCH+PRODUCTS&used=on

Does it matter that it says macro? Will it still perform ok for non macro shots?

The macro lens will perform for anything. The biggest thing you find with macro lenses is that they are a little slower to focus. They are made that way because you are working with some tiny things that the lens has to be "more careful" to catch the contrast and focus.
I have shot with it a couple of times and I REALLY wish it had been the one I purchased when I got my 17-50. I actually believe it's sharper than the 17-50 and for the price it performs far beyond expected. I think it makes an outstanding walk about lens, wide portraits are great and the macro capability is really bonus if and when you want it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back